You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have difficulties in having the supposed text overflow displayed in a document. This morning I wanted to export a PDF from a created document. Affinity Publisher showed me a window. According to this, text overflow should occur in at least one frame. But I can't find a red eye or any other red hint in the text containers. Only when clicking on the boxes for the page numbers created on the master page, red dots appear, however, additional text except "Nr." is not to be found also in this frame. I am a little perplexed.

Thanks for the hint, but there was nothing to see. Apparently it was annoying that the frames for the page numbers on the master page were a bit higher than the text containers. After the frames for the page numbers had been deleted, no more error messages appeared. But there was definitely no text overflow.

6 hours ago, deister fox said:

I can't find a red eye or any other red hint in the text containers. Only when clicking on the boxes for the page numbers created on the master page, red dots appear, however, additional text except "Nr." is not to be found also in this frame. I am a little perplexed.

2 hours ago, deister fox said:

there was definitely no text overflow. 

Possibly you haven't seen the red markers because of your zoom view in your documents window. It sounds magic but it works to zoom out to make the red dots larger, relative to the page size. For instance on this page in 15% versus 85%. Also consider that other layout items do attract your eyes automatically when looking for the markers.

1847735696_textoverflow15zoom.jpg.fe54d94b900d13100708d97ebcbeea79.jpg     120692071_textoverflow85zoom.jpg.1f530b5e9313d06e076eae82d36acbb4.jpg

Especially fields (as # in page nr) on master pages might make it easy to have their frame set to a size which would not fit to its content on document pages becaus the field symbol can be much shorter than the real content. Therefore you don't get red dots for the frames in the sample above when looking on them on their Master page:

2112182890_Bildschirmfoto2019-08-31um12_04_08.jpg.0ae2a8fa83478514275c09778c262396.jpg

But even without red dots here you can see by the 'special characters' (as mentioned above by KnikmanAV) that the text frames 2 and 3 will create red dots because of their overflow which happens just by the paragraph break . In frame 3 made more obvious after clicking the eye icon at its right edge to unhide the § which is overflowing here (though the red dots above got generated by the amount of numbers in the frames)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The "red dots" are only present if one has View > Show Text Flow enabled. Without that option enabled it is very difficult to find overflows.

(Note, too, that it is possible for an overflow to occur on a Master Page, and to only be visible if one looks specifically at the Master Page.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The "red dots" are only present if one has View > Show Text Flow enabled. Without that option enabled it is very difficult to find overflows.

Call me crazy, but somehow that does not surprise me very much. xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Same here.. tried everything but can't find any text frame with overflow. There are no red dots showing when zooming out (and yes my "Show Text Flow" option is on). There were some text frames that didn't had any text, but after I checked the document 4 times I'm pretty done with this.. :37_disappointed:

When trying to print an error is following. When clicking on "Ignore and continue" the print box appears. After I choosed the printer and clicked on "print", Affinity Publisher crashes and need to restart. My colleague has exactly the same problem. (Mac)

The only way to get it printed is to create an PDF first.

Schermafbeelding 2019-09-03 om 10.18.49.png

• Staff

Hi Muontania :)

28 minutes ago, Muontania said:

After I choosed the printer and clicked on "print", Affinity Publisher crashes and need to restart.

This isn't related to your overflowing text frames, this is a bug our developers are aware of and we're working to fix this asap.

This crash occurs when you have an embedded document which contains a different colour space/ICC profile than the main document. Do you have a placed document or image in your design? If so, please double click this element, then go to File>Document Setup and change the colour space & profile to match your main document. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I had this issue crop up as well. So I made several tables that were taller than my page, and then manually split them up to fit by deleting rows. Even though none of the now baby tables have overflowing text, the overflow text warning keeps coming up. As a test I deleted all the baby tables one by one and as soon as the last one is deleted the warning goes away.

• Staff

Hi Dimathiel,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please redo your deleted steps so your tables are still in your document, then upload a copy of this .afpub file here? Many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, mrbips said:

Having same issue. Cannot for the life of me figure out what is "overflowing" 

Do you have View > Show Text Flow enabled. If so, you should be able to see the red dots on any text frame that has overflowing text, assuming the frame is tall enough. Zooming out so you have a lot of pages visible will make them more obvious. If you don't see them in the zoomed-out view, also check your Master Page(s).

If the file is not confidential and you can post it here, we can help you look. Or Serif can provide a private upload link if necessary.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/31/2019 at 6:33 AM, thomaso said:

Possibly you haven't seen the red markers because of your zoom view in your documents window. It sounds magic but it works to zoom out to make the red dots larger, relative to the page size. For instance on this page in 15% versus 85%. Also consider that other layout items do attract your eyes automatically when looking for the markers.

1847735696_textoverflow15zoom.jpg.fe54d94b900d13100708d97ebcbeea79.jpg     120692071_textoverflow85zoom.jpg.1f530b5e9313d06e076eae82d36acbb4.jpg

Especially fields (as # in page nr) on master pages might make it easy to have their frame set to a size which would not fit to its content on document pages becaus the field symbol can be much shorter than the real content. Therefore you don't get red dots for the frames in the sample above when looking on them on their Master page:

2112182890_Bildschirmfoto2019-08-31um12_04_08.jpg.0ae2a8fa83478514275c09778c262396.jpg

But even without red dots here you can see by the 'special characters' (as mentioned above by KnikmanAV) that the text frames 2 and 3 will create red dots because of their overflow which happens just by the paragraph break . In frame 3 made more obvious after clicking the eye icon at its right edge to unhide the § which is overflowing here (though the red dots above got generated by the amount of numbers in the frames)

Zoom out trick worked for me. THANK YOU!