You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer gradient to layers

Hi there,

I never worked with vector software so this is the first time and I'm not an expert pen tool user.

I would like to export an EPS file but my first try was fail. I found tha answer in this forum if I using an FX that's rasterizing the layers. I would like to use correct a vector file. If I remove FX from the file the vector is working. But this FX was a gradient effect through the layers so affected to every object. But I don't know how can I replace the FX to something else. Because if I want to make a gradient that affects only one layer. If I want to use this gradient in every layer the gradients always starting the layers corners and not from the global position.

If I make shape as a new color layer with the gradient, the gradient make a background instead of transparency. 

image.thumb.png.cd99e8e05c782c9127dfbfaaea3c82d4.png

If I want to use clipping mask I have this very irritating auto fill problem:

image.png.c717771de1f6e0d84f296bc04568dd0f.png

This tool has a same effect:

image.thumb.png.a877b3c3e59b58fbae6fcc516fadcf41.png

I hope I was understandable. Thank you very much.

10 hours ago, abysan said:

But this FX was a gradient effect through the layers so affected to every object.

To me it is not clear yet what parts of your image should show the gradient and which shouldn't.
At the moment in my imagination it is a matter of layer arrangement and should be possible the way you started.
Perhaps you want to merge some layers (menu Layer > Geometry > Merge curves) to apply a gradient to their entire content instead to its single curves individually.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

Hi, abysan,

Here are a few comments that may help.

As far as I know, .eps files do not support transparency. They also formulate gradients different ways. Sometimes, AI rasterizes them. It may be that Affinity rasterizes them by default. Perhaps try exporting as .pdf.

The problem with clipping probably has to the geometry of the layers. This is a common newbie mistake. All the vector objects define a 2D space. "Closed" curves can have a stroke placed on them. "Unclosed" will have a stroke on the defined lines. But if a fill is added to them, it fills from end point to endpoint of the defined curve.

You may want to duplicate the curves that define the oval-ish shape. Take the original shapes, get rid of the stroke attribute, and the, using the pen and node tool, join the 2 shapes that are there. The gradient can be nested within that.

Gradients are designed to be modified by the user to point in whatever direction the users wants, and have the end point placed wherever. 

You might want to switch the view to "Outline." That way, you can see where the open curves are more easily.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Oh, I see you are using the gradient layer fx. The fx are always rasterized. Use the fill tool w. a gradient.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you gdenby,

I can't try now (just later) what you recommended but I can response few things:

The transparency is not a problem if I using EPS. I have to use EPS because I want to register myself to here. Only 2 format accepted, AI and EPS. This is a test task.

If I understanding well do you recommend me for example to duplicate the strokes and connect the endpoints? I can't avoid this? I hate to close everything but I'm coming from pixel world and maybe this is a technical limitation what I'm not understand yet. But I think this will be the solution.

Use the fill tool w. a gradient.

"Oh, I see you are using the gradient layer fx. The fx are always rasterized. Use the fill tool w. a gradient." I want but that's not as a simple thing to me as you see :D 

Thank you