You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Stroke Lag - V 1.7.2.471

When using the brush or erase tool with any brush for the former choice, there is a significant lag in the stroke even when stabilization is turned off.  I use an XP-Pen 15.6 Pro with latest driver.  I cannot replicate this problem in other software.  Just happens in Affinity Photo as far as I can tell.

•  

Annotation 2019-08-30 162910.png

Annotation 2019-08-30 163205.png

Edited by Tobias.VFX

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 6:39 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Tobias,

Do you get this lag if you turn off Windows Ink?

Hi Chris,

Yes.  I just tested that out. There's about a 2 ms delay in the stroke no matter what brush I use.  Not sure if this is within "normal" tolerance but it makes drawing and painting by hand really awkward.

Tobias

Your machine is really good. Yet... I don't have the lag....I have wacom, a classic, no screen, but other users with XPs don't have a lag, it seems. Something going on.

I have noticed  (but my machine is very low, in the extreme lower limit, in yours it might not count, at all) that brushes (besides, due to my machine, never working well with larger brushes than 300 / 400px) with (double click on a brush to change these settings) too low value of spacing, or hardness set to zero or low value (that is, max smoothness on contours) , or, heavy brush textures (in my crapPC... any textured brush diminishes performance), I've noticed all that can affect lag. A so called "round basic" (for some reason it best works starting from that one) brush, no texture, generous dots-spacing value, higher hardness value, is *way* more performing than the fancy brushes. Of course, it shouldn't be so (but one shouldn't be running Photo with a 11 year old machine) .

Not being right now able to visualize how would be a 2ms lag ...I have never measured that.

Just a quick note to report that this problem persists even with "high precision" turned off in the preferences of AP.

Then, leave it ON...seems is way more accurate with it, for brushes and lasso selection tool.

Is it me, or this was in another thread, with more posts and a video?...or maybe is from another user....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

This actually helped a great deal.  I missed that the XP-Pen dialogue had a toggle for Windows Ink that seems to be independent of the system settings.  Turning this off helped a lot.  I've messed with a select set of brushes as well but didn't notice too much of a big difference.  That's probably because my machine is really powerful.  I imagine someone would notice a greater different with a lower spec machine.

• Staff

That's good news. 

I have it on good authority that we plan on revisiting Windows Ink compatibility in the future. We usually recommend turning off Windows Ink because of the conflicts it can cause but in an ideal world, this should not have happened.