You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deathnail Issue with Mojave - Nested masks to objects or groups (bug happens with both) erases everything up and down.

I just upgraded to Mojave thinking I've waited long enough. Apparently not.

Designer 1.7.2 is not usable anymore. All of my past documents created in Affinity just went to shit. Photo and Designer share the same bug. Good thing I didn't get Publisher yet.

Error: Without fail, when you nest a gradient mask (rectangle) to any object or group, it kills everything in the layer stack below and above. The moment that mask gets disabled, the document looks normal again. It's hard to trust the apps with anything at the moment when even standard tasks fail so massively.

Reproduce: 

1. Create a document with a few shapes, pixel layers and vectors (for diagnostic purposes)
  2. Create a Rectangle object. Drag a gradient out using the Transparency Tool.
  3. Find some element in the layer stack and drag that Rectangle next to it to mask it.
  4. Congratulations! You've just destroyed the entire document.

It probably has to do with the ongoing graphics bugs that were introduced with the 1.7 releases. Is there a place where we can download past versions of Affinity apps (legally) or are we just screwed indefinitely? Gradually stepping back versions would help finding WHEN something got broken and narrowing it down to the WHAT. It would also mean I could work again.

10 hours ago, Frank Jonen said:

Error: Without fail, when you nest a gradient mask (rectangle) to any object or group, it kills everything in the layer stack below and above. The moment that mask gets disabled, the document looks normal again. It's hard to trust the apps with anything at the moment when even standard tasks fail so massively.

Hi Frank,

When you say nesting a gradient mask (rectangle) to any object or group kills everything in the stack below or above, can you explain further what you mean by kills. All seems to be working as expected here following your instructions...

Could you either attach a sample file where you are experiencing the problem where you've nested a gradient mask created using the transparency tool or at least some screen grabs showing a before and after with your layers palette visible?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

12 hours ago, Hangman said:

When you say nesting a gradient mask (rectangle) to any object or group kills everything in the stack below or above, can you explain further what you mean by kills. All seems to be working as expected here following your instructions...

Kill as in: Disappear, negate, erase, nullify, make nada, desaparecer…

I copied a section from one of my documents. It's similar throughout at 95% of my Designer documents are built like this. 100% of my Photo documents are built like this. Only in Mojave it broke. Probably related to all the other Metal problems Affinity had? But then again I went as far back as to "Software" in the renderer. All renderers have this problem in Mojave. 

In this small example the mask only kills everything below, even outside of its group. Once documents grow in complexity it also affects layers above it.

error_active.png

error_disabled.png

Mojave Problem.afdesign

Hello Frank,
Yes, I get the same problem here too.
In my screenshot the bottom ellipse should look like the top ellipse when masking the Adjustments Group as a whole.
For the top ellipse to work, as you can see, I actually had to put a copy of the transparency gradient mask into each individual adjustment layer.

Transparency Gradient Mask.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Yes, that's the issue. You can try making the document more complex and look when it is deleting upwards as well. Doesn't happen with all documents (the upwards deletion, that is).

I'm not modifying all of my existing documents because of a Mojave incompatibility though. I'm already getting shit from people I've shipped Affinity Documents out to. Two won't accept Affinity files anymore as a result. A common line was "I can open old Photoshop files and they work fine, your experiment clearly isn't working." Not a good week.

If it's not a Mojave issue then why does it only happen on Mojave? The client who got a new laptop this week (with Mojave) used the exact same version (1.7.2) as I was using when I created the documents for them. I saw the same thing then myself. Worked on the document, shipped it off. Launched the Mojave upgrade, opened it the next day. File was unusable. Same for all my other files. Someone else is now rebuilding the set in Photoshop based on my approval JPEGs. You can imagine how thrilled they were about it.

For what it’s worth I just tried my test project on another Mac running El Capitan 10.11.6 with Designer 1.7.2 and it’s broken there too.:(

Under El Capitan.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M