You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A.Designer to Cricut Design Space, svg export trouble

Hi, I am new to both AD & design space. I originally learned ink space before getting an iPad. AD has been a great purchase thus far. 

I am currently working on an svg which when I export into design space is not coming up properly. I’ve linked it below, but the triangles show up only as squished lines off to the side (not even close to triangles). The words and the heart however seem to import just fine... I am not sure if I am doing something wrong in the export process or what the difference is that the heart shape is fine but triangles are not?? TIA

HeartBreak Hotel.svg

A4DA3C90-ACAF-40E9-9999-92DC9A589757.jpeg

• Staff

Hi CraftLe@rner,

Welcome to the forums :)

I've imported your SVG back into Affinity Designer (desktop) and I'm not seeing the same issues - however we've had multiple users report issues here previously with SVG import into Cricut Design Space. (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83122-svgcricut-problems/)

Could you please provide a screenshot of the export settings used for the SVG from within Affinity? What is the DPI of your .afdesign document?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

4 minutes ago, CraftLe@rner said:

Sorry, for the delay, I thought I’d lost my post.

You can navigate to your profile page from any forum thread by clicking on your username in the top right-hand corner of the page and choosing ‘Profile’ from the dropdown menu. Press the ‘See my activity’ button on your profile page to ... er ... see your activity.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshot, I've been tested this here and unfortunately I'm yet to find a way to correctly export an SVG from Affinity that can be read by Circut.

I suspect this is partly the way we're writing the SVG and partly how Circut is interpreting the SVG.

To test this, I opened your SVG in Adobe Illustrator and without changing the design I exported it back out to SVG. As can be seen in the below screenshot, more of the SVG was read, but it's still not quite correct (note all outlines are black) -

image.png

I've logged this with our developers to see if we can improve on how we're writing our SVG code for import into other apps such as Circut space - perhaps an option in the Export settings.

Apologies for any inconveniences here, you could try using a different online service - such as Figma (which imported the SVG correctly) or alternatively export out as a high resolution image and the use this in place of the SVG, however I do understand it isn't ideal to use a raster format.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

@Dan C thank you for your help! I will be looking into the Figma, as I’m unfamiliar with this program.

@MattP Flatten transforms works! I have all my colors and layers in Cricut, & the design comes out perfect when I go to print on the mat!

Thank you everyone, i really appreciate the assistance and the welcome!

• Staff

No problems, CraftLe@rner! :) Maybe update us with a photo of your results whenever you get chance - I've always enjoyed seeing how people use their cutting machines! :)

I've got a Craft Robo at home that I've had for ages, but I've not used it for a while... :/ 

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

I've got a Craft Robo at home that I've had for ages, 

I remember your posting about that a few years ago, Matt!

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

but I've not used it for a while... :/ 

Have you ever used it with Affinity Designer?

Alfred spacer.png

33 minutes ago, MattP said:

I've not had time to use it with Designer yet - so many things to do! :( 

I suspected as much!! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Alfred spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

I’m doing this exact thing you’re doing. 

I’m not with my iPad at the moment but I’ve been using AD and AP with Cricut for a few months now and more or less figured out most of the kinks. 

For the most part, SVG with Cricut is very difficult to make work regardless of what tool you use. Mostly because SVG’s can contain a lot of features that are unsupported by Cricut. The main problem I’ve found with SVG and Cricut is that once imported, Cricut takes each shape and places it anywhere on the board to maximize material use. This might be fine for some things, but becomes hell if you’ve got something like a complex die- cut vinyl that you’d want to use transfer tape to maintain registration. 

The best solution is to export slice layers from AD as PNG. Transparency will define the outlines. This will keep each shape to be cut whole and also prevent Cricut from interpreting the shape pieces wrong.