You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using ABR Brushes in Affinity Designer

Does anyone have any ideas why I can't use any .abr brushes in designer ? I have several hundred .abr brushes and I've tried dozens and dozens of them ... All I get is the message saying " Error importing brushes" every single time .... It doesn't matter if I'm in designer or pixel persona I get the same error message ...  Some of these are older .abr brushes but a lot of them are newer brushes that I've tried ... Any insight would be appreciated .... Thanks ...

Can you upload a few Abr files that give you the error so we can test them on our systems.

Abrviewer for windows: https://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/

Abr viewer for Mac: https://www.netwebbing.com/view-abr-brush-files-mac/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

39 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Can you upload a few Abr files that give you the error so we can test them on our systems.

Abrviewer for windows: https://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/

Abr viewer for Mac: https://www.netwebbing.com/view-abr-brush-files-mac/

Sure I can upload some ... I have hundreds and for none of them to work seems more like something with the program or maybe in my settings than the actual brushes ...  But it very well could be the brushes because I also tried to import them into Affinity Photo with the same results as Designer... None will load and I only get an error message  ...

20 Halftone Brushes.abr

roughEdges_richardStelmach.abr

__P_R_E_T_T_Y___C_I_R_C_L_E_S_by_For_Certain.abr

wet-paint-stroke-brushes.abr

WG_Watercolor_1.abr

Vector Brushes.abr

These brushes will only work in the Pixel persona in designer, anyway, I'm getting unexpected brush format, even after I import to photoshop and export out the unexpected format error still pops up.

This abr file does import successfully though: SS-vegetation-foliage-textures.abr

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Currently, there's a bug in all the last versions of the apps that can't import anymore ABR brushes (something to do with not importing corrupted brushes, that ended with no import at all :S).

Try to download and reinstall an earlier version to import them (and export them to AFBRUSHES if you need to use the last version of the app, and import those AFBRUSHES files).

7 hours ago, Wosven said:

Currently, there's a bug in all the last versions of the apps that can't import anymore ABR brushes (something to do with not importing corrupted brushes, that ended with no import at all :S).

Try to download and reinstall an earlier version to import them (and export them to AFBRUSHES if you need to use the last version of the app, and import those AFBRUSHES files).

Thanks for the help and the AF versions of the brushes ... I thought maybe it was a software bug by the way it was acting, but I wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't user error ... I've only been using Designer for a few weeks so I didn't know if this was an issue in earlier versions or with just the latest .... Now I know .... 

• 1 month later...