You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashing when creating palette from image

Hi, I was creating a palette from an image and Photo crashed every time I tried to save the palette. I was able to successfully chose the image, select how many colors I wanted for the palette (I chose 3 colors), and then when I hit Create it crashed. I tried this three separate times with no luck. I'm using Photo 1.7.2.

What type of Palette are you trying for? Application, System, Document or Currently Selected Palette? I had no trouble making one for Document and no problem adding to 'current' palettes. I don't like messing with the Application or System Palettes so I didn't check those.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, quinnballard said:

@Old Bruce Hey, I'm actually not sure. I am not familiar with the different types :/ I wanted to make a palette from an image on my computer in which I'd have the light, medium, and dark colors from that selected image in order to make a gradient map to apply to a project image I was working on.

Try a Document Palette. As I said I had no problem with a 16 bit TIFF rgb image for any sort of document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi quinnballard,
Is this happening with any image you try to create a pelette from or it's just with a specific one?
Do you mind attaching the crash report here please? Press and hold alt and drag the icon in the title bar of the crash report window to your desktop to quickly create a copy of it then attach the .crash file to your reply here. Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I am having a similar problem. I can "create a pallet from image" up to 5 colours. Any more than that it crashes the program. I have seen several videos of people creating up to 15 colours with no problem. Since others have asked about this, is there some fix I am not aware of? I am using Photo 1.8.3

• Staff

Hi RickRails,
Thanks for the additional info. We already have this issue  logged to be looked at (it also affects High Sierra and El Capitan) however there wasn't progress yet. I've updated/bumped our report to bring this up to devs attention again. I'm also moving this thread to the current bug reports section (was originally in Pre 1.8 Photo Bugs found on MacOS).
Thanks for your support. 

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I have the same issue. Creating an 8-color palette from an image in iphoto crashes when I press "create". 5-color works though...
Publisher 1.9.1, MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Can't see a crash report window.

Anais

Edited by Siana
forgot the publisher version

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm having this same problem; Publisher crashes when i try creating a palette from an image. I tried different images and got the same result. It sometimes crashes and restarts but more frequently I have to restart the app. It happens when i try creating a palette with more than 5 colours.

Any support would be appreciated.

Thank you.