You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

artboard size doesn't match slice size

• Staff

Hi Kat! sorry to see you're having trouble. I can see your Artboard size is in pt not px. Slices in Affinity are always shown in Pixels, which is why you're seeing a discrepancy in the figures.

Was the AI file created in pt or px please? :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can see your Artboard size is in pt not px. Slices in Affinity are always shown in Pixels, which is why you're seeing a discrepancy in the figures.

Even so, the width of the slice should be 18750 px, not 18751 px. It looks as though the original width is not a whole number, or the artboard is not exactly aligned to the pixel grid.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
14 hours ago, kat said:

What to do now please? Do need to fix first in ai?

Not at all, you can easily resize this in Affinity :)

Firstly, select the Move tool and make sure you don't have anything selected - you should see 'Document Setup' on the context toolbar. Open this then use the third dropdown option to change the document units from Points to Pixels then press OK. Now you can select your artboard and resize it using the Transform Studio, here you can simultaneously make sure your Artboards are on whole pixels so your slices match the Artboard size. I've included a quick screen recording of this below for you!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Firstly, select the Move tool and make sure you don't have anything selected - you should see 'Document Setup' on the context toolbar. Open this then use the third dropdown option to change the document units from Points to Pixels then press OK.

Assuming the Windows version is like the Mac one, an even quicker way to do this is to select the View (Hand) Tool, then on on the context toolbar click on the "Units:" dropdown & change it to "Pixels" there. This avoids having to open the "Document Setup" window.

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Now you can select your artboard and resize it using the Transform Studio, here you can simultaneously make sure your Artboards are on whole pixels so your slices match the Artboard size.

You may also want to set the display of pixel values to 2 or more decimal places so you can see at a glance in the Transform panel if everything is set to whole number (integer) values. To do this, open Preferences > User Interface & change the value for Pixels in the "Decimal places for Unit Types" section. Note that internally Affinity always does everything using high precision binary math (to around the equivalent of 8 decimal places or so) -- the unit types preferences only change the display of those values.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
20 hours ago, kat said:

I tried "lock children". It worked only partially as you can see.

My apologies, it's not clear from your screenshot - with lock children unchecked the layers within your Artboard should resize when resizing the artboard itself. Which objects have not resized correctly?

20 hours ago, kat said:

Also what does "absolute sizes" in contextual top menu do?

Absolute sizes is a setting for the corner tool which can be used by default on any artboard. As can be seen in the following gif, this changes the corners from percentage based to your documents default units, in my case pt.

bf991c24334cf5f7e97630931da5a90a.gif

20 hours ago, kat said:

Thanks so much for your patience helping me with this. I love AD

No problem at all, I'm very happy to hear it! :)

20 hours ago, kat said:

Seems that fx objects don't scale properly. The circle scaled but not the stroke. I tried "scale with object" in fx. But stroke still did not scale

Apologies for the confusion here, there are multiple 'scale with object' options that need to be set. It sounds like you've already set one in the fx panel, but you also need to tick this in the Stroke Studio for the stroke size itself to resize with the Artboard -

image.png

Please note -

Many thanks!

My sizing images and artboards is working nicely. I'm trying to set up 1 clean AD file then I can just place all my psd files. A lot of the art is done in Corel Painter.

Back to slices: I've set doc to pixels, also to 300 dpi and 0 decimals pixels in prefs, But as the 3rd screenshot shows my artboard layer slices are still each off by 1 px.

What am I missing?

Also how do I find stroke studio?

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 10.02.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 10.05.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 10.56.45 AM.png

• Staff
17 hours ago, kat said:

I've set doc to pixels, also to 300 dpi and 0 decimals pixels in prefs

I can see from your screenshot that your document is currently 72DPI, is that correct?

Unfortunately I think you're a little confused regarding the preferences option. This doesn't force pixel values to be rounded to 0 decimal places, it simply sets how many decimal places you can see. With the option set to 0 it will always look like your artboard is positioned on whole integers, but that may not be the case. As R C-R recommend (see below) it's recommended to set this setting in preferences to 2 or higher.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, R C-R said:

You may also want to set the display of pixel values to 2 or more decimal places so you can see at a glance in the Transform panel if everything is set to whole number (integer) values. To do this, open Preferences > User Interface & change the value for Pixels in the "Decimal places for Unit Types" section. 

This will be why your slices are still 1px larger, as your artboards aren't set on whole integers, please change the Preferences>User Interface setting to 2 and then check your artboards position again - you'll likely find that one or both of the X & Y values aren't whole integers.

17 hours ago, kat said:

Also how do I find stroke studio?

You can find the stroke studio through View>Studio>Stroke. The default location for this Studio Panel is the top right, in the same group as Colour & Swatches :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Set prefs to 2 and got rid of artboard x & y decimals. How do I redo/recreate existing slices?

Also I reset dpi to 300 after previous screenshot. Any other suggestions? Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs required for my t-shirt art:

• final artwork in RGB: This will produce a greater range of colors when printed on the different products.
  • Output your artwork file at 100% of the print dimensions at 300dpi.
  • Make sure your artwork file is no larger than 25MB. If you are using Photoshop, you can choose "Smallest File Size" in the PNG Format Options dialog to help reduce the final artwork file size.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.01.57 AM.png

5 minutes ago, kat said:

Set prefs to 2 and got rid of artboard x & y decimals.

Not according to your screenshot:

1980542188_xformpanel.jpg.29816055531e8f228cdf1ce2c0f52e30.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7