You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on a shape path no longer works for me

jonnsin

Downloaded latest publisher upgrade. Can create text on a pen path but no longer on a shape path. Have to force quit as Publisher hangs. Also Publisher still crashes when I try to print on any of a choice of 4 printers. Have to convert to PDF to obtain printed  copy

I am still on Mac 10.9.5. Reluctant to upgrade OS in case I lose Adobe CS6 as I still use many inDesign files which I cannot do without

Jonnsin

Sorry I can't help with your application hang and crash.
(About crash on print are quite a few bug reports yet. As a workaround, besides your export as PDF experience, it is recommended by a moderator not to mix different color spaces and profiles)

22 hours ago, jonnsin said:

I am still on Mac 10.9.5. Reluctant to upgrade OS in case I lose Adobe CS6 as I still use many inDesign files which I cannot do without

Concerning your macOS version with the need to keep CS6 alive: CS6 runs up to macOS X 10.12.6 (Sierra) without any harm.
You still can download it from Apple with the link in the following list. Clicking the link for 10.12.6 opens a website with a popup window which optionally links you to your App Store application and, once you get there, offers a download button.
https://www.sir-apfelot.de/download-liste-installer-von-alten-macos-und-os-x-versionen-24587/

To test whether your hard- and software is compatible to Sierra you could run this test application:
http://download.macwelt.de/public/SierraTester.zip
A description about this test app and its founders is here:
https://www.macwelt.de/ratgeber/Ist-Ihr-Mac-fit-fuer-macOS-Sierra-9812239.html

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

20 minutes ago, jonnsin said:

Might try the upgrade in stages from Yosemite onwards

Hm, step by step through various system versions? Every major OS upgrade might confuse/corrupt any single file. Therefore I'd prefer not to upgrade to all versions in between, even not to upgrade at all, but rather to do a clean install, as a factory reset would do, too. To do so you would entirely delete/initialise your disks and then installing a fresh system.

Hi thomaso, Have established that the text on shape problem definitely stems from my 10.9.5 system as downloaded Publisher on to my wife's macbook (El Capitain) and it works OK.

Pity I can't download Photo and Designer but they were purchased when you could only get them from the App store and although my wife and I have the same email address we have different  App Store log in numbers.

Anyway it looks as if I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade my iMac as you suggested. There seems to be plenty of info on the web to assist with this.

Thank you you all the trouble you have taken to help me with this it is greatly appreciated.

Jonnsin

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds good that you could detect the reason for the issue in this topic – though it might be time consuming for you to solve it with a new macOS installation.

Concerning App Store: You should be able to install any purchased app on a different computer (imagine you buy a new mac). Possibly you need to have a user account on your wife's macbook and launch the App Store app with your login then. It does not matter which user installs an app, it will be available in for all users of that mac.

About the assistance on macOS installation: the most helpful assistant might be the Migration Assist application inside macOS. It enables you to copy programs and documents from a TimeMachine backup more or less automatically with the installation process. Nevertheless, in your case coming from an old system and having app issues already, it can be worth not to use this assistant to copy any program and custom app preference (stored in a Library folder inside your user folder). If you can take your time to install every app instead copying it (with its prefs) you can exclude that way to copy corrupted files and will get a more healthy new installation. So, consider to use this automatically assistant process only for the documents you had created (usually stored in your Documents folder).

It is no trouble at all for me and I'd be glad if you can manage the installation procedure smoothly (I am aware that it can give at least a feeling of troubles).