You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To my knowledge theres no way to see an actual brush cursor in AP other than a representation of the brush style. This is often very difficult to work with, especially when working on small details. This is for two reasons.

1) The brush tip cursor is a dynamically scaling thumbnail of the brush style. For those brushes with unusual shapes, this is problematic as a clear focal point doesn't exist.

2) The brush tip cursor color is matching the currently selected color. In theory this is helpful but often when using color values close in appearance it is virtually impossible to see the brush tip cursor.

I understand it has been asked for before but I'd like to put my virtual 2 cents in. Is there any possibility that we will ever get a legit dynamic cursor that is similar to virtually all other image editing programs on the market? It would be immensely helpful.

Thank you kindly for your feedback and putting this in as a hot feature update for this weekend (wishful thinking lol). ;)

4 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Have you already looked at the preferences?

BrushPreview.jpg.5233887ce3224e5a6eb4743b2325a690.jpg

Indeed.  Those don't effect what I'm talking about.  Brush previews is the "texture" style of the brush.  The Crosshair only works on the stock basic brushes.  I'm talking about having a dynamic target cursor (with options of course) like you'd see in PS or AI across the board.

Edited by Tobias.VFX

3 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Mmmh - no PS nor AI user speaking.

Cheers

All good.  I switched from Adobe to Affinity and have no plans on looking back lol.  All aside, this is a feature that exists in the majority of all image generation programs on the market, 2D & 3D.  I hope the devs are listening.  I know this has been a feature request for a number of years in Affinity.

Cheers

• Staff

Hi Tobias.VFX :)

I'm sorry, I too am not certain what you mean by;

19 hours ago, Tobias.VFX said:

I'm talking about having a dynamic target cursor

Could you explain this a little further or provide a screenshot? Thanks!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by having a dynamic target cursor, either. With the option to show the cross-hair active, you have a circle that shows the width of the stroke and a crosshair that shows the center of the stroke.

19 hours ago, Tobias.VFX said:

The Crosshair only works on the stock basic brushes.

In my experience it works on all brushes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1