You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create Good Quality Thumbnails for Website

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have any idea about the best way to shrink down a large file (.jpg or .png) to thumbnail size maximising the possible quality? The file will be text and vectors only so this must be possible?

For example; a file size such as the book cover template below, to be reduced to 350 x522ish pixels and 200 x 300ish pixels.

Thanks in advance ... 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it will be only the front cover section that I need to shrink down.

5.25x8_Cream_130.png

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

For anything with more than a minimal amount of text, stick to PNG. The JPEG format always introduces artefacts at sharp boundaries (e.g. between text and a solid background) even at maximum quality.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

For anything with more than a minimal amount of text, stick to PNG. The JPEG format always introduces artefacts at sharp boundaries (e.g. between text and a solid background) even at maximum quality.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Alfred.

Any other suggestions anyone?

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

It would be better to scale down the text separately from any vectors. If you are using designer, then scale down your artwork to the target size, then re-write the text in a textbox at an appropriate font size. Smaller fonts are designed to look better and be more readable at small sizes.

Failing that, you can scale down the text in a text framebox by dragging on the handle just outside the box.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

50 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

It would be better to scale down the text separately from any vectors. If you are using designer, then scale down your artwork to the target size, then re-write the text in a textbox at an appropriate font size. Smaller fonts are designed to look better and be more readable at small sizes.

Failing that, you can scale down the text in a text framebox by dragging on the handle just outside the box.

John

I think that might be my only option. Thanks John