Jump to content
Bonev

Crop an image in Affinity Photo

Recommended Posts

I cannot see how to crop an image inside the whole document. I have 3 layers (images) and want to crop the boundaries of one of the 3. I see resize canvas and the crop tool want to crop the whole document but I do not see a single tool to work on a single layer.

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 13.10.52.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am conviced there are better ways to do this.

Make a selection with the Rectangular Marquee Tool. Menu Select -> Edit Selection As Layer. Switch to the Move tool and adapt the selection boundaries. Leave the mask mode, copy and paste the changed selection or invert the selection and delete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently the crop tool is a document based crop so not going to be of any use to you here. You can destructively get rid of pixels though by making a selection that you wish to keep, then selecting the inverse of the selection (Command-Shift-I) and then hitting delete on your keyboard to get rid of that selection. Alternatively you could use a mask to hide the pixels so they are still there incase you need to come back to them at a later date.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best wishes,

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markbowen said:

you could use a mask to hide the pixels

That’s what I would do. Masking is just another name for layer-based cropping.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For another mask-based approach: Draw a rectangle over the area you want to keep, perhaps with no fill to start so you can precisely position it. Change the fill to white. In the Layers panel, make sure the Rectangle is immediately above the layer you want to mask, then right-click on the Rectangle layer and choose Mask to Below. Or, drag the Rectangle layer onto the thumbnail of the layer you want to mask.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For another mask-based approach: Draw a rectangle over the area you want to keep, perhaps with no fill to start so you can precisely position it. Change the fill to white. In the Layers panel, make sure the Rectangle is immediately above the layer you want to mask, then right-click on the Rectangle layer and choose Mask to Below. Or, drag the Rectangle layer onto the thumbnail of the layer you want to mask.

That’s what I had in mind when I mentioned “layer-based cropping”, but maybe @markbowen was thinking of pixel masking rather than vector masking.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Not sure where the problem is. I´d select layer/s - rectangle select - copy - File - New from Clipboard. No? Just thinking loud.

This is what I did eventually. Thanks for all other suggestions for layer cropping and etc. this is rather more of a designer approach that I did not think about since this is a pixel editor :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the great thing about this software, many ways to achieve the same result which is nice. Copying from another document, masking or clipping the image are all viable alternatives depending on how much or little control you want and how much you need to keep the image / edit it afterwards.

Absolutely love using Affinity products as they make you think outside the box sometimes and lots of great help on the forums from people too.

Best wishes,

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 3:28 AM, markbowen said:

Currently the crop tool is a document based crop so not going to be of any use to you here. You can destructively get rid of pixels though by making a selection that you wish to keep, then selecting the inverse of the selection (Command-Shift-I) and then hitting delete on your keyboard to get rid of that selection. Alternatively you could use a mask to hide the pixels so they are still there incase you need to come back to them at a later date.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best wishes,

Mark

 

Just a clarification for us PC users. Instead of hitting the delete key, hit the backspace key or you will delete the whole layer. That is what happens on my system anyway.

They might want to fix this. :35_thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Belmont said:

Just a clarification for us PC users. Instead of hitting the delete key, hit the backspace key or you will delete the whole layer. That is what happens on my system anyway.

They might want to fix this. :35_thinking:

In my experience on Windows, Delete and Backspace operate the same.

You do need to be careful that you're working with a (Pixel) layer, and not an (Image) layer.

  • With an (Image) layer, which you would get by using File > Place or copy/paste or drag/drop to get an image into an already open document either of those keys will delete the layer.
  • With a (Pixel) layer, and a selection, either of those keys will delete the selected pixels from the layer.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.