You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing with Persona (or not)

Workflow thing really...

My projects tend to use content supplied by third parties that I need to edit ( one reason is-because APub is unable to render embedded fonts correctly). I keep this content in a separate folder. When placed into APub it would be logical to edit these changes using persona but with embedded content, the content in the folder wouldn’t be updated would it.

Therefore when I need to edit this external content instead of using persona I open the files with open with in APho or ADes.

Does my reasoning make sense?

A bit of clarification is needed, I think, @Catshill.

First, you seem to be using AP to mean Affinity Publisher in your second paragraph, but in your third paragraph you're using it to mean Affinity Photo. It's important to use the full names, or abbreviations that uniquely identify what product you're talking about :)

Next, it's important to specify the kind of content you're talking about. I think in this particular case you're probably referring to PDF documents as you mentioned fonts. Embedded or linked documents (PDF, .afpub, .afdesign, .afphoto, SVG, EPS, ...) behave differently (today) than embedded or linked image files (JPG, PNG, TIFF), and so one's workflow may need to be different depending exactly what kind of content one is dealing with.

For a linked image file, an edit made in Publisher by opening the file in a separate tab (regardless of the Persona one uses) will be applied to the original file.

For a linked document file, the edit will be applied only locally within the Publisher document. So, yes, if that's the kind of content you have, and you want the original file to be updated, you would either Open that file directly in Photo or Designer, or you would open the linked document in a new Publisher tab using the Edit Document button, and then use Edit in Photo or Edit in Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Isn't that actually a really weird and confusing approach? I mean, to do it differently on just different kind of sources? What a mess. The resources panel says it's linked but then when editing it's been embedded.

Would be nice to have an option to choose how it is handled.  

B

___♥___
| | |    | | |

1 hour ago, BennyD said:

Isn't that actually a really weird and confusing approach? I mean, to do it differently on just different kind of sources? What a mess. The resources panel says it's linked but then when editing it's been embedded.

Would be nice to have an option to choose how it is handled.

Designer is not supposed to Link files when you Place them. They are supposed to be embedded.

That's different from what this topic is about.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

A bit of clarification is needed, I think, @Catshill.

First, you seem to be using AP to mean Affinity Publisher in your second paragraph, but in your third paragraph you're using it to mean Affinity Photo. It's important to use the full names, or abbreviations that uniquely identify what product you're talking about :)

That makes sense. I’ve edited the OP accordingly.

Next, it's important to specify the kind of content you're talking about. I think in this particular case you're probably referring to PDF documents as you mentioned fonts. Embedded or linked documents (PDF, .afpub, .afdesign, .afphoto, SVG, EPS, ...) behave differently (today) than embedded or linked image files (JPG, PNG, TIFF), and so one's workflow may need to be different depending exactly what kind of content one is dealing with.

The issue in my case applies to embedded PDFs really but equally applies to any image format. Having explored linked documents today I believe that using persona to edit them results in the source file being edited. Which makes sense to me.

For a linked image file, an edit made in Publisher by opening the file in a separate tab (regardless of the Persona one uses) will be applied to the original file.

Thank you for confirming 

For a linked document file, the edit will be applied only locally within the Publisher document. So, yes, if that's the kind of content you have, and you want the original file to be updated, you would either Open that file directly in Photo or Designer, or you would open the linked document in a new Publisher tab using the Edit Document button, and then use Edit in Photo or Edit in Designer.

Now the logic of that escapes me.

2 hours ago, Catshill said:

The issue in my case applies to embedded PDFs really but equally applies to any image format. Having explored linked documents today I believe that using persona to edit them results in the source file being edited. Which makes sense to me.

True for image files (JPG, PNG, TIFF), but not true for linked document files (PDF, SVG, EPS, .afpub, .afdesign, .afphoto, ...).

2 hours ago, Catshill said:

Now the logic of that escapes me.

You're not alone.

Personally, I would like the ability to edit embedded files, not just linked files. And I would like the option of whether editing a linked file also updates the original, or simply embeds an edited copy in the Publisher document.

But, really, at a minimum all linked file types should be treated the same, and all embedded file types should be treated the same.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But, really, at a minimum all linked file types should be treated the same, and all embedded file types should be treated the same. 

I agree. Irrespective of whether it is a document or image there should be consistency. All linked files whether up dated externally, using persona or by publisher itself should affect teh original. Embedded files should only affected the embedded object. There's probably a coding reason for the inconsistency but I've no idea what.