You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have tried to use a 2-page (Xpress) PDF as a template as I explore Affinity Publisher. Page one was no trouble, it was placed as expected. When I attempted to place page 2, page one was again placed. In the pull-down "place" menu, I had moved to the second page. It was there. But all I could get was the original page 1. I ended up taking a screen shot and scaling it to fit. This works for a template, but not for a placed PDF to be printed.

What am I missing?

I don't know why Placing it wouldn't work, @Nivrams. You should be able to get page 2 if you specify that page on the Context Toolbar. However, if you want to use it as a template, have you considered using File > Open rather than File > Place?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Nivrams said:

Now, if I can figure out how to handle the fonts…

To start, you need to have all of the fonts that are used in the PDF installed on your system, or Publisher will have to substitute using something you do have.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Activating is not one of my font problems. I am having problems specifying a font by size AND leading. I don't see anyway of doing this in any Affinity app.

In Publisher it's vital. Affinity is very strong on handling objects, but typography as text— not so much.

There should also be some way to duplicate font formats on the fly, since it is difficult to determine actual leading and spacing. 

AP makes it difficult to even know what you are using. In AP, the eyeball is King

4 minutes ago, Nivrams said:

Activating is not one of my font problems. I am having problems specifying a font by size AND leading. I don't see anyway of doing this in any Affinity app.

In Publisher it's vital. Affinity is very strong on handling objects, but typography as text— not so much.

There should also be some way to duplicate font formats on the fly, since it is difficult to determine actual leading and spacing. 

AP makes it difficult to even know what you are using. In AP, the eyeball is King

You can definitely specify a font in Publisher by type, size and leading by using the Text Style Panel (VIEW>STUDIO>Text Styles).  You edit the text style by right-clicking on something like "Body" which opens an entire menu of preferences.  Rename the style and then proceed to set your parameters.  For leading you open the Position and Transform option.  When you want to duplicate the font format, just import it from one document which uses it to the new one.   Hope this helps.

1233250632_ScreenShot2019-08-30at3_23_26PM.thumb.png.38e24b585e84d38bd5583b3ed2b986cb.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I haven't gotten into the Styles Panels, yet.My problem is being able to spec type directly into a layout, without deciding to set up style sheets.I just want to adjust the text in a two column box to result in two (approx.) equal columns.For this I select a readable size and adjust to fit (leading, spacing, hyphenation, etc..) I have sent a screen shot of an example. The text in the sample is 8.5 point Aveneer condensed with minimum leadings. I can't say how much leading, because there is no indication on the Character Panel or the horizontal bar above. The highlighted text reads 8.5 pt, even though it clearly isn't. The "Leading Override" box reads 9 pt… whatever that means. 9 points more? Than what?

The Style Sheets are used in long or multiple documents for replication. Not for one-off application. So my question is: Can I spec a column of text in 8.5 Point on 9.5 pt. leading? And then make adjustments if necessary? Right now, the answer seems to be "no." I'll have to stick with Quark Xpress ( I no longer use Indesign.) I hope you guys show me otherwise because I think AP is almost there!

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 5.37.11 PM.png

With the Frame Text Tool or Artistic Text Tool active, the left side of the Context Toolbar gives you the font and font size:

image.png.a4e80bdc2d1396e817bb6bc73f6f009f.png

and one of the fields on the right side of the Context Toolbar gives you Paragraph Leading:

image.png.b498c0628deb542825f1b382b7891b0d.png

You can also find those settings in the Paragraph panel in the studio, and overrides for them in the Character panel.

-- Walt
PC:

Walt, thanks for your patience. I revisited my problem, and I don't know how I got all my problems, but I did discover how to set point size and leading. Once I discovered the identity of the proper icon, I no longer had difficulty setting the proper leadings, which is a function of paragraph settings (like Quark). I am amazed how good publisher is. I just have to adapt to the UI which, I know, can't violate the "look and feel" of the established applications.

I am already using Designer and Photo with Quark Xpress. The printers have been able to use my PDFs. I will now finish with Publisher and see how that goes.

Process work will not be a problem. Black and one or more spot colors may be. Duotones are not possible with anything but process colors. I think. I hope I am wrong about this this matter too. Again, I thank you for your generosity in sharing your knowledge.

5 hours ago, Nivrams said:

Duotones are not possible with anything but process colors.

It would work with a spot colour.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.