You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts not being interpreted correctly when exporting to PDF

stutes

Affinity Publisher v1.7.2

Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)

Workflow:

In a different file, a newsletter that I needed to export to PDF because it was also crashing on print, I had a similar issue; but the scrambling of Raleway was intermittent; on some pages in the PDF it displayed just fine, while on others it would be jumbled.

This only seems to be affecting the Raleway font. I'm unable to use a substitute font, as our graphic standards have been using this font for our copy for years.

I suspect this may have something to do the figure style of the font. The font appears to be jumbled on pages where the figure styling was left on the "default." On pages where it is not jumbled, I think the font has a style applied that has changing the figure style to "lining."

This was not an issue when I exported a PDF of my newsletter last month using v1.7.1.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 12.12.56 PM.png

Those scrambled characters like that are common with font cache corruption.
So you may want to try clearing your OS font caches.

Does it happen when using other applications other than APub?
If yes, that would also point to font cache corruption.
You should test that if you have not done so.

Which version of Raleway are you using?
- the one from Google Fonts, or
- the one from Font Squirrel?
They are named differently internally and I am not sure what would happen if combined.
If you have one version, and the embedded doc has the other version -- I would expect problems.
They (Google Fonts) have made some other changes too, but I have not analyzed what exactly.
Google removed the Typographic Family and Subfamily names (why?).
The Google fonts may work online, but I would consider the Font Squirrel version to be properly named for desktop use.
But the Google fonts may have some other issues fixed. Dunno.

Google Fonts has a bad habit of changing fonts and not changing the version number.
So both versions have the same version number, but the character counts, naming, etc. are different.

Also, what does it say when you look at the font info in the PDF when you highlight the garbled text?
I would guess that it has no font assigned.
Also, look at the full list of embedded fonts for anything odd.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

Or, on mac, first just the font cache of your Affinity app in Preferences > Misc...

1332473471_fontcacheaffinitypref.jpg.a8846a851c8a8e9ee4c071ae6b56b6d9.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

22 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Or, on mac, first just the font cache of your Affinity app in Preferences > Misc...

1332473471_fontcacheaffinitypref.jpg.a8846a851c8a8e9ee4c071ae6b56b6d9.jpg

Does that actually clear the APub font cache, or does it just reset the font replacements?
I seem to remember someone saying this just resets the font replacements.
Is there any documentation of what this does, or a quote from any Affinity representative that we can review?

56 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Does that actually clear the APub font cache, or does it just reset the font replacements?

It appeared to work for some in the forum which had issues with correct font appearence in Affinity.
I assume it is the cache of all activated fonts to built the list of available fonts and their links correctly. I can not imagine what font replacement it could reset, since that can be set individually for any resource and therefore is rather stored with an .afpub but not as an application preference like the "Reset Fonts" button.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 hours ago, thomaso said:

It appeared to work for some in the forum which had issues with correct font appearence in Affinity.
I assume it is the cache of all activated fonts to built the list of available fonts and their links correctly. I can not imagine what font replacement it could reset, since that can be set individually for any resource and therefore is rather stored with an .afpub but not as an application preference like the "Reset Fonts" button.

So no documentation, and no direct quote from an Affinity representative.
Everyone is just guessing what it does.

@Pauls
Could you please get us a definitive answer as to exactly what the Reset Fonts button does.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:57 PM, Chul said:

Did you try to convert the text to curves as a work around for it?

Yes, as a workaround I created a duplicate of the Publisher file, and converted the text boxes that weren't exporting correct to curves. This worked of course, but it is less than ideal, as it creates A LOT of extra steps just for the sake of printing a copy. And if changes have to be made, you have to go back to the file with the live text, make a dupe, and convert to curves all of again.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:29 PM, LibreTraining said:

Those scrambled characters like that are common with font cache corruption.

Does it happen when using other applications other than APub?

No.

If yes, that would also point to font cache corruption.
You should test that if you have not done so.

I'll clear my font cache none the less, just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

Which version of Raleway are you using?
- the one from Google Fonts, or
- the one from Font Squirrel?

I'm using the ones from Google Fonts. They are installed via my font manager, RightFonts

They are named differently internally and I am not sure what would happen if combined.
If you have one version, and the embedded doc has the other version -- I would expect problems.
They (Google Fonts) have made some other changes too, but I have not analyzed what exactly.
Google removed the Typographic Family and Subfamily names (why?).
The Google fonts may work online, but I would consider the Font Squirrel version to be properly named for desktop use.

Interesting points. I'll uninstall the Google Fonts and give the Font Squirrel versions a try instead.

Also, what does it say when you look at the font info in the PDF when you highlight the garbled text?
I would guess that it has no font assigned.
Also, look at the full list of embedded fonts for anything odd.

So I opened the PDF in Acrobat. Not sure how I would inspect a font selection in Acrobat, but the list of embedded fonts reveals nothing unusual; everything listed is what I used for the newsletter.

• 3 months later...

SOLVED this or a VERY similar issue!

When exporting to PDF, some fonts came out garbled (even tough when checking with Acrobat Reader the font files were properly embedded in the PDF file).

See the file for example.

It seems the problem lies in Mac OS - I had some font installed - and the problem was in duplicate font files. When I checked the font files that were making problems in the system Font Book app it said that the fonts had duplicates. I pressed the "Solve automatically" button and the problem went away. 

I think the cause is with fonts that come in one file for the whole family and separate files for each style for example:

Baskerville URW  (which contains a lot of styles)

and then separately:

BaskerwilleURWMed    (this one style in separate file) etc.

When installing those fonts I just dragged the whole folder and did not notice the duplicates.

I'm attaching a scrambled test file so you can see what error this produces.

test file.pdf

Edited by mattjabbar

@mattjabbar, I think you may be on to something. While I no longer know what fonts were causing my problems, I think they were fonts that were offered as part of Google Fonts; which my font manager allows you to sync with. But I'd happened to have some manually installed earlier. I've since stopped syncing with Google Fonts, and exporting PDFs has been fine since.

• 4 years later...

I had a similar problem. I created a layout with Raleway (Google Font). I had downloaded the variable weight font file from Google. Everything displayed correctly in the Affinity Publisher app. When I went to export the PDF, it just showed regular Arial font. 

I deleted the variable weight font file and downloaded the individual font files from Google and restarted the app. I had to replace the fonts in my file with the new Raleway fonts and boom then it exported fine. 

It took about an hour of frustration before I figured this out. I hope this helps someone else.