You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggle 'clipping' of parent shape/curve

Hey team,

I can't find a way to do this but thought it might be something you'd consider as being useful.

Currently if an object is nested inside a shape in the Layers panel, there's no way to actually toggle visibility of the contents masked by the shape (perhaps even opacity?). In my case, I would have found this useful a handful of times on each project just to get visibility of the contents being masked (particularly if this is an image/photo).

The only way I'm aware of to do this is to physically drag all of the contents within a shape out of the shape and then back again.

Happy to be overruled on whether it's worth this being a feature - I just thought it was something worth mentioning because, as I say, it would have been useful to have a slightly less 'action heavy' method of checking the contents of a shape on the Artboard.

Thanks!

19 hours ago, simonlayfield said:

Currently if an object is nested inside a shape in the Layers panel, there's no way to actually toggle visibility of the contents masked by the shape (perhaps even opacity?).

What you can do is ALT+click on the nested layer. This makes it visible in it's entiety. The drawback is that this turns of every other layer so you'll not see the context. I assume this is not what you are asking?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd revisit this today to echo the need for it.

I doubt this is a planned feature, but thought I'd elaborate all the same in the hope someone else chimes in.

I have this basic composition:

1686498075_Screenshot2020-07-14at20_56_08.png.9d762c20e4be7604daeb45231cb1f9d4.png

Currently the image is nested within a circle vector, but I'd like to be able to save a version of it without the circle vector masking it. As it stands this would mean I have to drag the contents of this vector in the layers panel out of the shape, save it, in this form:

1119739676_Screenshot2020-07-14at21_01_48.png.dd716070a7aebc2dd1ff87db4990bb38.png

...and then drag the contents back again. What I actually want in the UI is a means of simply deactivating the effects of a vector mask (not toggling the layer off, which would in turn hide it's contents). Something like this:

993239925_Screenshot2020-07-14at21_06_16.png.8da02207f6205bf98c6e61548f01b20c.png

I guess it might just be me that thinks this would be worthwhile. For simple compositions like this it's not a big pain to move layers around, but if you were to have a large number of nested layers, it's a bit of a chore just for the sake of briefly bypassing the mask.

Not sure how you are doing what you do but for me I find the following to work well

661055830_ScreenShot2020-07-14at2_51_08PM.png.fb43901aeeefb476682ab470166e90dd.png

Just click on the ellipse to mask unmask.

355373617_ScreenShot2020-07-14at2_50_49PM.png.4186848d3b82c9ac72f80944e05d52f4.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.