You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does Print dialogue always show a scaling of 24% for A4?

Hi Matt. I know you're working on this and that is great because I cannot make any sense of how printing works!

I open a file that is around A5 size (148x210mm) @ 300dpi, make sure the document setup is correct in AD, select print (and A4 paper) and get what is shown in attachment!

In something like Illustrator, when I select print, it shows the document correctly in preview as being about half the size of a A4 sheet and I can move the position of the document on the page to print.

I need some kind of help here as I just cannot figure out how to print in AD and AP at all!

I mean, how am I supposed to get a correct paper print of the millimetre size I want?

post-12287-0-25839000-1435229539_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner - I've been utterly hectic trying to get this sorted ready for this RC build today. If you try the new beta it should all make more sense now- let me know how you find it :)

Thanks again for your patience on this one - hopefully it works really well now :)

Matt

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner - I've been utterly hectic trying to get this sorted ready for this RC build today. If you try the new beta it should all make more sense now- let me know how you find it :)

Thanks again for your patience on this one - hopefully it works really well now :)

Matt

Matt, I've had a chance to try out the new panel, and although it works really well, there is one really annoying thing, and that is, that settings are not remembered from one print to the next!  This is really annoying as it means that the settings have to be remembered and changed for every print in a session!  That is not 'normal' behaviour with printing dialogues!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Matt, it seems to be a profile thing!  If assign sRGB to it, the black box goes away. Can you explain to me about what profiles AD/AP are using? Whenever I load a jpg that has been exported from AP/AD I get an error about 'not valid ICC profile' when I open in Photoshop.

Also, what is with the '1 of 9' thing in print preview?

• Staff

The problem with that image seems to be that it has a CMYK US Web Coated profile - but we load it and place it in an RGB document so the profile makes no sense... If you change your document to CMYK it works fine, or if you change the RGB profile it is fine - but there's something odd about that image. Can I ask where it was created?

The '1 of 9' thing is just that it is tiled onto 9 A4 pages at actual size print. If you choose 'Scale to fit' it will show you that the scale is now 34% and it fits on one page :)

Thanks,

Matt

It was created by AD from an AI doc.  US Web coated is my default CMYK profile in Creative Suite.

The 9 page thing? Is that a bug?  It's a 1748x2480 @300dpi 148mm x 210mm A5 document. I should show as half the size on A4 page, not 9x!!

It shows up fine in AI or PS as half an A4.

We're now in the 'I don't understand how AP/AD treat dpi' topic that I posted about (with no reply!) earlier here.

If I take the same A5 @ 300dpi AI document we are discussing into AD and look at Document Setup, AD shows it as 886dpi!  Then if I change that to 300dpi (with resampling) and export it as a jpg, everything looks fine.

Then, if I open the jpg back into AD, it comes in as 72dpi and that is where the 9 page thing comes from!

If I open the original file in AI, it looks fine A5 size @ 300dpi, and if I export it to jpg, it still looks fine in PS/AI as an A5 @ 300dpi sitting correctly as half an A4 in Print Preview.

Similarly to AD, if I open the jpg in AP, then it comes in @ 72dpi, not 300, and is 16 times the size, which obviously then means resizing to 300dpi without resampling and then it looks correct.

I just don't understand what is going on here at all.  Why does AD/AP not recognise the dpi the image/document was saved in? Seems to want to assume that everything is 72dpi!

Thanks Matt, but that is crazy!

If I am being sent a bunch of jpg and PDFs files from people for insertion into a publication or for printing, it is obviously essential for the application to respect the dpi the documents were saved in, otherwise I will have no clue what mm size they are or what the client wants!