You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize canvas multiple times - not adding transparent pixels at top or left

I have been trying to add a key line around some of my images.  To do this I use the resize canvas function and flood fill the new transparent borders created in white, resize again then flood fill with a key line colour, then resize again and flood fill in white again, however it is not functioning as expected.

Steps to replicate:

1. Start with any image.  for ease of demonstration create a solid filled colour document, say 200 x 100 pixels.

2. Select resize canvas.  Unlock the padlock, and set the anchor point to centre.  Change canvas size to 220 x 120 pixels.  Press OK.  This works as expected and creates a border 10 pixels wide around the original image.  All new pixels are transparent.

3. Flood fill the newly created pixels in a different colour to show the border created.

4. Select resize canvas again.  Unlock the padlock and set the anchor to centre.  Now change canvas size to 240 x 140 pixels.  Now what I’d expect to happen is for a new border of transparent pixels 10 pixels wide to be created all around the image again.  However, what actually happens is that the new pixels created at the top and to the left of the canvas take on the colour of the flood fill colour chosen in step 3.  The new pixels to the right and bottom are transparent, as expected.

PS.  It would be a useful enhancement to the resize canvas function to allow the colour of the new pixels to be specified.

Running Affinity photo 1.7.2

on MacBook Air,  High Sierra 10.13.6

Can confirm the same is happening here too...

Basically, once the canvas has been enlarged to 220 x 120px applying a bucket fill to the canvas is actually creating a 'shape' much larger than the canvas itself, in this instance, the shape created is offset negatively by 246px on both x and y axes and is 492px larger than the canvas in both width and height instead of being the actual canvas size as would be expected.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi ravingdave,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your report. I've logged the issue to be looked at. Meanwhile after step 3 right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise & Trim. You can then perform the rest of the steps to get the desired result until we fix this.

I have experienced the same prob's on a Mac desk top Mac OS Mojave Version 10.14.6 time and time again. The programme freezes with the little no response continuing, only way out is to shut down the computer using on of button!!

David Bolam

• Staff

Hi Martin Bolam,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
From your description seems you are talking a different issue (freeze under unspecified circumstances), not the resize canvas problem described in the first topic in this thread. If that's the case please create/open a new thread in this section (Photo Bugs found on MacOS if you are using a 
Mac) following the instructions given on the top of this page (Reporting a bug in Affinity Photo - General guidance) so we can track/follow the issue and help you out. Thank you.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:54 PM, Hangman said:

Can confirm the same is happening here too...

Basically, once the canvas has been enlarged to 220 x 120px applying a bucket fill to the canvas is actually creating a 'shape' much larger than the canvas itself, in this instance, the shape created is offset negatively by 246px on both x and y axes and is 492px larger than the canvas in both width and height instead of being the actual canvas size as would be expected.

Thanks Hangman.  I can see what is happening by making the second re-size a much larger canvas.  As you say the fill is much larger than the expected canvas size.  Very odd - hopefully a simple bug fix for the guys at Affinity.