You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Since I upgraded Affinity Photo to 1.7 I have problem with opening raw-files.

When opening they all become almost black (like 10 steps underexposed). Means I have no use of raw-file development.
Because if I adjust the picture as I would like to have it and then Develop it then it becomes like 10 steps overexposed.

I have looked around in the Preferences and Assistant manager without fining any solution.
Opening already earlier adjusted Affinity files, PSD-files, jpeg-files - No problems

Any idea - someone

Win8 64 bit, Nikon D800 raw 14 bit uncompressed.

Thank you in advance 

• Staff

Hi Claes :)

Could you please open any RAW file, then locate the 32bit Preview Studio (View>Studio>32bit Preview) and check that Display Transform is set to ICC Display Transform and not unmanaged?

Please let me know if this helps, as un 'unmanaged' 32bit Preview of a RAW file will certainly appear darker than expected!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming and I'm sorry to hear this, I've just downloaded and opened a test D800 RAW image here and I'm not seeing the same underexposed issue.

Could you please try resetting your app back to default settings? You can do this by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 1 month later...

Hi again

The same problem appeared again    :4_joy:

Working quite much right now. So I have no idea what I did right before the crash. Nothing special as far as I know.

Am I the only guy having this problem?? Must be a bug somewhere

It´s been working like a charm for a long period now

ANYONE ?

Claes

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this Claes, is the app crashing for you or are your RAW files appearing under exposed?

If the app is crashing, I'd like a copy of your crash log(s) - please navigate to the below location from the Run Dialog (Windows Key + R). In this folder you will find Crash Reports generated by our apps. Please send us the .dmp file with the latest Created/Modified Date.

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

If your RAW files are opening under exposed, could you please provide a sample RAW file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/HlwHPSi1QHIKzjDbfqRO

Hi Dan

As I learned from the previous crash - I restarted the program.  So when I look in the recommended file (reports) it's empty.

Probably because I started from scratch - or ?

But if the same problem occur again I will come back to you with a crash report and a sample of raw file. 
By the way - it´s not a single raw file  that behave strange. All files (different cameras) have the same problem

Anyway Thank you for your concern

Claes

• Staff

If you've reset the app to default settings your crash log should still be available - however if you've enabled automatic crash log upload to our servers the log will no longer be available on your local system.

No problem at all, please do let me know. I recommend making sure your GPU drivers and Windows are fully up to date, as these are some of the most common reasons we see for crashes in Affinity :)

• Staff

I'm very sorry to hear that Claes, unfortunately I've been unable to find your crash log in our server but we can generate one locally and go from there.

Can you please open Affinity>Preferences>Miscellaneous and uncheck the two options here, then continue to use Affinity Photo until you experience a crash. 

Now open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created file, then attach the .dmp to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

I am having the same issue when opening raw format files taken on my canon camera. When placed into the program it loads the pictures on the develop persona and they appear massively under exposed or have a contrast error. I am using the default settings of the program and the program has never crashed on me when using it. 

• Staff

Hi MetroKelpy,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm, what camera model do your RAW files originate from?

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, I've opened a test RAW file from this camera here and I'm not seeing the same issue. Could you please provide a screenshot of your 32bit Preview studio in the Develop Persona?

16 hours ago, MetroKelpy said:

Heres an example of the raw image when viewed in file explorer, vs how it looks when only dragged into the program to start working on it.

OK, but where is the screenshot of your 32bit Preview studio panel in the Develop Persona that @Dan C asked for?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

New crash !!!

Enclose 2 Screenshots
* One in develop mode. Dark
No adjustments and then developed

* One in normal mode. This is what it looks like. It's easy to see the difference. I can from this image go back to develop persona but then I miss e.g. Lens adjustments

Any progress to find a solution ?

Claes

develop persona.JPG

developed.JPG

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, could you please provide your crash reports as described here -

On 10/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, Dan C said:

Now open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created file, then attach the .dmp to your reply here.
 Many thanks in advance!

Sorry - the map is empty. Nothing at all. It looks like what happens is not considered as a crash ?!

I have opened a lot of raw files with no problems at all. But suddenly !!
It is the same camera Nikon D800 all the time

Strange

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, it certainly sounds as though the app isn't able to create a crash report for this issue.

Could you provide a copy of the RAW file from your above screenshots to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/HlwHPSi1QHIKzjDbfqRO

Hi again

I have reset the app. And as always it works perfect. I tried again with the raw file you just got and no problem.

Strange.
Next time it crashes I will step by step reset  and clear different items from "Clear User Data" to see when and where the app is "healed"