You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - image quality after editing

• Staff

Hi Paolo192 :)

Are you editing a placed image? If you have a canvas size considerably smaller than an image you place, then use a pixel tool on this, the image will be rasterised to the size of the canvas - which would cause considerable image deterioration.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

thank you
I copy and paste a part of the image into a new layer, then I process the latter by moving it and changing it slightly.
maybe it's just my impression, but I think that with Photoshop these operations can be done with less loss of quality.

• Staff

My apologies, you haven't answered my previous questions and I require this information to assist. Are you using File>Place to open your image? What is the size of the canvas you're working on?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Paolo192 said:

am I wrong to do so?

Not at all, it will make a difference to the type of layer. You should have (Pixel) after the layer name. Are you re--sizing up or down? What algorithm are you using (nearest neighbour, bicubic or Lanczos)? 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi Paolo192,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check if you have Enable Force Pixel Alignment depressed (enabled) in the main toolbar (the icon on the left in the magnet icon group). If not enable it.  Also make sure the other icon/button immediately on the right of the Force Pixel Alignment is disabled (Move By Whole Pixels). The. the operations you were performing again. Does the image now keep its sharpness?

11 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Not at all, it will make a difference to the type of layer. You should have (Pixel) after the layer name. Are you re--sizing up or down? What algorithm are you using (nearest neighbour, bicubic or Lanczos)? 

John

yes, the base level is "pixel".
I make small changes in size and perspective, sometimes UP sometimes DOWN.

which resampling system is the best? I usually work with "lanczos"...

18 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Paolo192,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check if you have Enable Force Pixel Alignment depressed (enabled) in the main toolbar (the icon on the left in the magnet icon group). If not enable it.  Also make sure the other icon/button immediately on the right of the Force Pixel Alignment is disabled (Move By Whole Pixels). The. the operations you were performing again. Does the image now keep its sharpness?

first of all thank you for your kindness, I'm really glad I chose Affinity!

I tried with these settings, but the difference between the two options seems to me very limited ... I repeat, maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that with Photoshop these operations resulted in a minor deterioration of the image.