You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo and Capture One

Hi There:

I'm not sure if this is a challenge with Affinity Photo (1.7.2) or Windows 10 (latest updates installed) but I'll throw it out there.

While I'm still using Lightroom 6.14 for my photography, I'm also using Capture One 12.1 in a hybrid workflow for my Sony A7R III (.arw) files. I use Affinity Photo rather than Ps for pixel editing. Now, in Capture One, I can right-click on an image and select Edit with or Open with and it brings up a list of software I can use for additional editing. C1 first creates a .tif file, then sends the rendered image to the program of choice.

On that list are Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher, but not Affinity Photo. I can go to browse, go to the correct folder and select photo.exe, but I have to do that every time. I asked this question on the C1 forums and someone suggested I get Windows to associate Affinity Photo with my .arw files. So, I did a quick search, right-clicked on an image file, selected Open With, chose Affinity Photo and set it to use as default for this file type.

What happened is that Windows added a .comask extension to the file name - i.e. filename.arw.comask and then Affinity Photo told me (of course) that it couldn't open a .comask file.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hi Laurentia: What I attempted did work... even though I'm not sure about the .comask extension that was added. So if you want to link Affinity Photo to Capture One, set it - even temporarily - as the default for a file type you work with in Capture One.

Mike.