You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Panorama Stitching Issue

ZeusZeus

Hello everyone,

I have tried so many different ways to import photos inside the Affinity Photo on the iPad in order to create a New Panorama. So I imported RAW, TIF, JPGs, from Cloud or local and none of these worked. I placed the photos in, pressed to Stich and blank. Is this a known issue? Thank you!

Are you sure there is enough overlap in the source images? Maybe post the first two or three of the images?

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Have also add this issue and HDR merging too! I have posted this but still no response from Affinity. Apparently previous versions worked fine, but not 1.7! Disappointing as I bought Affinity for this purpose when on trips to avoid lugging a laptop around with me. Have emailed my questions separately but no response yet!

• Staff

Hey ZeusZeus,

We've noticed stitching a panorama is slower in 1.7 compared to 1.6 however, I can successfully stitch a number of panoramas. Can you please upload yours here:
Private Dropbox link - https://www.dropbox.com/request/AtxN1qz48rXzFxTJ5T58

I have also had the ‘nothing happened’ panorama issue.

I also have experienced an issue where Affinity can’t make up its mind on how to create a panorama. I took 13 photos of a large storm building up over the mountains. When I attempted to create a panorama from the photo set, Affinity created two panoramas: one of the lower two-thirds of the scene and one of the upper third of the scene. However, when I created a panorama using only the _upper_ two-thirds of the scene, that panorama stitched correctly. So, I can get either the upper two-thirds or the lower two-thirds of the scene, but not the entire scene. Am I doing something wrong?

• Staff
On 9/5/2019 at 6:54 AM, EdM said:

I have also had the ‘nothing happened’ panorama issue.

I also have experienced an issue where Affinity can’t make up its mind on how to create a panorama. I took 13 photos of a large storm building up over the mountains. When I attempted to create a panorama from the photo set, Affinity created two panoramas: one of the lower two-thirds of the scene and one of the upper third of the scene. However, when I created a panorama using only the _upper_ two-thirds of the scene, that panorama stitched correctly. So, I can get either the upper two-thirds or the lower two-thirds of the scene, but not the entire scene. Am I doing something wrong?

I've had this myself once or twice. I think it's where the app fails to see an overlap halfway through rendering the panorama so it thinks there are two separate ones. I have found that trying again will usually stitch a single one but as I say, I've had it maybe once or twice. If you can consistently reproduce it, it may be worth attaching your images for us.

• Staff

Hey EdM,

There isn't enough overlap in the images and one of them is completely out of focus which isn't going to help the stitch.

It also looks like some of the images are at different zooms but the camera data suggests this isn't true so maybe it has been cropped? Have the images been exported from another app?

I've just tried to stitch it in Photoshop and I ended up with this:
image.png

It also stitches two separate panoramas and does a terrible job with the sky area. 

No, none of the images were cropped. The camera was mounted on a tripod and the zoom level was fixed.

Now try stitching the upper two-thirds of the scene.  It will be successful. The upper photos have about 25% cloud overlap to the middle photos. That’s what has me scratching my head. 

12 hours ago, Chris B said:

It also stitches two separate panoramas and does a terrible job with the sky area. 

That’s why I use Affinity!

As a point of reference, I am a retired scientist and specialized in image processing R&D. I tend to break other people’s algorithms (sorry). Do you know the limitations of the stitching algorithm?

- # of images

- minimum % overlap

- total pixels in output image 

Computational photography is a heck of a lot cheaper (and lighter) than buying lenses.