You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wish List ... Collect for Output

As do many of us. It may be in an updated version but I wouldn't count on it coming soon enough to help with this project.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 1:26 PM, Tom Spetter said:

I would love this feature. For me, it is an invaluable archiving tool. When I finish a job (ad, brochure, book, whatever) in InDesign I would do a collect for output, and archive everything. I know this wastes some disk space, but the amount of time it saves when retrieving and updating old jobs is worth it.

I am surprised to find out that this isn't a feature. This is a very crucial workflow for archiving and especially for handing off files/projects to suppliers and/or clients. This is a must have.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

how the heck did we all get by without it?

We don't need to ... the latest beta has a little button called "collect" in the Resource Manager --- this copies all linked images into one folder.

For archiving, I usually simply embed all images (even though the files get rather big) and save the file on my backup drive. So far this method worked nicely.

6 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

For archiving, I usually simply embed all images (even though the files get rather big) and save the file on my backup drive. So far this method worked nicely.

Sorry to say that this will bite you at some point in the future. You should also keep the images with it as image files, please tell me you have them somewhere as image files.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Note that some users want "collect for output" to also include fonts, which the beta implementation doesn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

We don't need to ... the latest beta has a little button called "collect" in the Resource Manager --- this copies all linked images into one folder.

It's a paltry solution as implemented compared to ID's. Aside from the comments above.

I start out with job folders under the client's folder. The job folder has other folders. The entire folder system gets backed up. 

1 hour ago, Jens Krebs said:

...Agree that InDesigns "collect for output" is better, we last not forget that InDesign is 14 versions and 19 years ahead of Affinity Publisher though. For starters, this is nice and usable.

Well, Adobe may have had a 20 year head start, but here is a quote from Adobe's feature list for ID 1.0 before it was even released--in fact, the documentation was written in PageMaker 6.5...

Set InDesign to package a preflighted file for you,
arranging a copy of your file along with all of the
necessary links, fonts, and other external files in a
single folder. (Packaging fonts is unique to Adobe’s
publishing programs. Subject to your font licensing
agreement.)

And therein lies how Serif can make a bit better version: collect all the fonts. Period.

About the fonts, I think we are headed that way eventually. See especially Patrick's post on collecting fonts:

Notice: the current new feature is "a start along this path." I take this to mean that they have heard the requests for packaging resources, they have started work on it, and in the new beta they are ready to share their progress so far, with evidently more planned. The new beta is just the first step in that direction, and I think it was good of them to share what they've done so far rather than wait until the whole thing is complete, especially as it seems they are not going to be able to complete their vision for this feature by 1.8 release.

18 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I would want to have in archive the original source files, not the edited, colour separated and downsampled versions. Thus I have to collect files manually anyway.

Yep. I have one folder of original images/art and one folder for the edited versions. 

Also, as regards the archiving of fonts, I generally copy the whole family to the fonts folder whether they all are used in a publication or not, something collecting fonts dosn't do.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, davidg2020 said:

I would like to see a "collect for output" facility, not just for Publisher but for Designer too. This is one of the biggest stumbling blocks preventing me from switching from "those people with the huge monopoly" to Affinity.

What would be involved in such a function for Designer? Designer doesn't support Linked files, so I think the only thing to gather might be fonts (which even Publisher doesn't collect yet).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1