You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer shut down without warning

Merlin

Hi Merlin.

What you are experiencing is certainly unusual!

Can you provide as much information about the problem as possible, so that people can assist you?

Which version of Windows?
Are you using the latest version of Designer? (1.7.2)
Does this happen with every file, or just one specific file?
Which tool were you using?
What action were you performing when it crashed?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Hi Merlin,

When reporting bugs, as Aammppaa says please try to give as much information possible especially as to what you are doing. Unfortunately when you just report a bug that says 'It crashed' there isn't really much we can look into.

However if you say my document crashes when I do this and this and then attach your document we have a much better idea on how we can attempt to replicate the crash. What is even better is if you're able to get a screen recording that demonstrates the crash as well!

I am using Windows 10 and the latest version of Designer (1.7.2).

I am designing a series of playing cards and each is on an art board. I have 48 art boards in the file. The actions I was taking was primarily copying and pasting between art boards.

I have no screen shot of the event because it happens unexpectedly and without any warning or message. After it shuts down I am looking at the Windows desktop which offers nothing of interest regarding the crash.

I simultaneously had Photo open in which I was editing 1000x1000 images but that didn’t crash.

• 1 month later...

This is still happening. Instant close of file without warning. I am using Designer 1.7.3.481 and Windows 10.

Three crashes in 2 hours. Today it even closed while it was opening and before I even touched my mouse. This is getting very concerning.

Could this be related to the KB4524147 Windows update that caused similar problems to many.

I would try removing above mentionned update, you have nothing to lose.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Thanks @AlainP (is that Alain Prost???). As you will see from this thread I’ve been having this problem much longer than the release of said Windows 10 update, but I appreciate the comment.

i think the problem relates to having too many art boards in my file. I have tried splitting my file up, which is a pain because it reduces my efficiency, but seems to be working at the moment.

• Staff

Are you able to attach a copy of the file that is causing the crashes along with a bunch of the most recently crash reports found in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports\ that correlate to the times you are crashing please?

Also what commands were you attempting to do at times the application is crashing as well? If it is normally copying and pasting I would check to see if you have Windows Clipboard History enabled. If it is enabled then please disable this as it has been known to cause crashes whilst copying and pasting.

53 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Are you able to attach a copy of the file that is causing the crashes along with a bunch of the most recently crash reports found in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports\ that correlate to the times you are crashing please?

Also what commands were you attempting to do at times the application is crashing as well? If it is normally copying and pasting I would check to see if you have Windows Clipboard History enabled. If it is enabled then please disable this as it has been known to cause crashes whilst copying and pasting.

@Sean P I can’t send the file because it is contains confidential work and it is 154Mb. I also cannot find the location on my computer with the crash files your reference. I am looking under C:/Program Files/Affinity/Affinity Designer/ but after that I just get language directories.

I am working with 48 small 2.5” x 3.5” art boards to create playing cards. Although crashes may occur while cutting/ copying and pasting between art boards it often crashes when I’m zooming or scrolling. In fact it also crashes while I’m opening the file.

i would like to send you the crash reports if I could find them.

• Staff
Just now, Merlin said:

@Sean P I can’t send the file because it is contains confidential work and it is 154Mb. I also cannot find the location on my computer with the crash files your reference. I am looking under C:/Program Files/Affinity/Affinity Designer/ but after that I just get language directories.

I am working with 48 small 2.5” x 3.5” art boards to create playing cards. Although crashes may occur while cutting/ copying and pasting between art boards it often crashes when I’m zooming or scrolling. In fact it also crashes while I’m opening the file.

i would like to send you the crash reports if I could find them.

If you press WinKey+R and then paste the following line into that dialog and press OK it will take you to that location:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports\

Would you be willing to attach your file to our internal Dropbox account that is only accessible by Serif Staff? If so let me know and I will make a link for you. Have you tried checking if Clipboard History is turned off?

@Sean P Thank you for that guidance. I attach the crash reports for October 3, 8 and 9. There is no report for today despite three crashes. It doesn't seem like crash reports are being generated for every crash.

I could privately send the file with your assurance it will not be disclosed or used or copied.

Is Windows Clipboard History in Designer under Preferences because I can't find it?

crashreports.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for getting back to me. Windows Clipboard History is a setting in Windows 10 (introduced in Windows 10's 1809 October 2018 Update). To access it to Start Menu > Settings > System > Clipboard and then switch that to 'Off' if it is on. If you clipboard history is set to 'Off' then try clearing your preferences.

Please note that this will remove any added brushes, assets, swatches, styles etc as well as remove any UI or setting changes you may have made. With that said the instructions I give you below will be to rename a folder (you could also copy that folder to another location for peace of mind) so you don't permanently lose these, as I understand they can be important.

1. Close Designer down
  2. Press WinKey+R and paste the following location and click OK to open that folder: %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\
  3. Rename the 1.0 folder to 1.0 - Backup
  4. Restart Designer - all customisation should be removed at this point
  5. Try using this for a while and see if it improves things.

If you still find this to be the same then close Designer and delete the newly made 1.0 folder and rename 1.0 - Backup back to 1.0 and that will put back all the changes and customisations you have made.

If this does appear to solve the issue for you then we would also like to get a copy of the 1.0 - Backup folder you made above. If possible could you zip that up and attach it to the link below, ideally with the document you're working on. I can assure you that your file will never be copied, and is only ever used to replicate the issue you are getting. The link below is for our internal Dropbox account which is only accessible by Serif.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/q4YZTmJknzrhvtH9hjjQ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Sean P

I split my large file into smaller files and things were working OK, but today a small file shut down on me after a single edit and a short scroll. Hence I followed your instructions today and will let you know what happens. I am just letting you know that the clock starts today.

Regards

@Sean P

At 6:25am EST Saturday 9 Nov 2019 my file shut down again. The file closed without warning and the screen reverted to my desktop. There was a back up representing my work about 5 minutes earlier.

When I first opened Designer it asked me if I wanted to assist development and report crashes to Serif, so I said yes. 

The crash appeared to occur when I was scrolling between art boards.

Hello Merlin, don't despair! 
Had the same problem and not only with designers but also photo and publisher crashed permanently. 
The only things that helped me were switching the Power Options in Win10 from "Balanced" to "High performance" and in "Plan Settings" switching off the "Sleep" function in "Plugged in" mode.

Hope I could help you

W10_power_opt.png.cce0d8f174bef1d7ab3d8440fb6ba597.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Sean PI want to remind the administrators that this is an ongoing issue for me that has not been satisfactorily resolved. The time between my posts is not indicative of any successful solution, but just me persevering with an unsatisfactory solution, and the fact I don't use the software on a daily basis largely due to the frustrations I am experiencing.

Today I tried again and after pasting an artboard from one file to another, and converting the artboard to a group, then dragging the group to where I needed it, Designer immediately hung up as "not responding". This was literally after about 2 minutes of work, most of which was opening the two files. I tried three times with exactly the same result.

• 2 weeks later...