You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Index more than one book volume together?

My plans are, to publish a book in three volumes, but I would like to be able to index them together. (Eventually even add a separate and combined index to each volume.)

As Affinity Publisher already crashes quite often and sometimes functions begin to act strangely, with the first book now being about 170 pages, I don't trust the system to put all three volumes in one file together for the indexing.

In PagePlus, I would have arranged the content in separate chapters and so minimalising the risk of a crash. But I can't find any similar options for Affinity Publisher, to divide the content and still keep it in a group for a publication, though I can declare sections. But I don't think sections help here.

As the total page number will be about 700 to 800 pages with lots of images (linked into the file), I don't trust one document file here to handle all three books in one.

I also would like to indicate the page numbering in the index to show, which volume the page number comes from, like:

I 23, II 15, III 68, etc.

Though I don't really mind to run the numbers through all three volumens continuously, but would prefer the separated option. But at least the page numbering should be doable with page numbering settings over sections.

But with the overall index, I am at a loss and already thought to export the index, when finished, export it to a new file (e.g. excel for sorting purposes), manually add all the volume-numbers and then copy it all back into the document files.

Perhaps you have a better idea how to handle this. I would be very grateful for any kind of help!

Hi Callum,

That is what I can't figure out how best to do.

I would like to separate the volumes, to minimize the risk, in case something crashes, and having to check less.

So far, I only see the chance for a complete index, if all three volumes are in one file.

Thank you very much,

Roswitha