You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Garamond font

Personally, I think everyone's take on this is berry, berry good.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Regarding the original question, you must have in mind that the relatively marked stroke contrast between the uppercase and the lowercase glyphs is a feature of many modern interpretations of Garamond, but it depends. Here are a few of the Garamonds on my hard drive:

Garamond.thumb.png.2b093c359ec51d8951c6148fd5782f7a.png

If you really want to use Garamond (or rather “a Garamond,” however this is to be understood), I would perhaps search for an interpretation where the contrast is acceptable for you. Just head over to your favourite font provider and search for “Garamond.” :)

https://cdncms.fonts.net/documents/a0a1c46fe9cea024/ILGaramond.pdf

3 minutes ago, Stella HB said:

sure you're all DYING to know how that turns out

I hope you manage to let us know before we’re berried! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Dear God in heaven. My printer sent me a test page. How can anyone work in that font?! I've done the ugly hack as recommended by Joachim and sent it back to her. It looks better on screen so hopefully will look better printed too. I did look at some alternate fonts and downloaded the Coromorant one (doesn't seem to have a q in Affinity...) but I don't have six weeks to mess around with font!. Thanks all. I  very much appreciate all your support!

7 hours ago, Stella HB said:

Dear God in heaven. My printer sent me a test page. How can anyone work in that font?! I've done the ugly hack as recommended by Joachim and sent it back to her. It looks better on screen so hopefully will look better printed too. I did look at some alternate fonts and downloaded the Coromorant one (doesn't seem to have a q in Affinity...) but I don't have six weeks to mess around with font!. Thanks all. I  very much appreciate all your support!

"Doesn't seem to have a q?"  The font doesn't?   I use Cormorant as my default font, and have just typed q's in gay abandon on a test page.  What "q?" in Affinity do you mean?  I must be extremely dense today.  O.o

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Sooooooo disappointed!   I was waiting for the "gay abandon" riposte.  Oh well.  We dodged Hurricane Dorian and are now having a bright blue, not-a-leaf-stirring day.  Can't have everything!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 minute ago, jmwellborn said:

We dodged Hurricane Dorian

Glad to hear it, Jennifer! I thought I remembered your having indicated previously that you’re in the general area where the hurricane was headed.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Glad to hear it, Jennifer! I thought I remembered your having indicated previously that you’re in the general area where the hurricane was headed.

Thank you, Alfred.  Actually, we are inland about 167 miles west-northwest from Charleston SC.  When hurricanes come up the eastern coast they often reach Charleston and then make a turn, either to our direction or to the north-northeast.   Thirty years ago, the trees in our town were demolished by Hurricane Hugo, which took an abrupt and unpredicted turn and thundered through the countryside and thwacked us at 100 mph.  Smidges of green leaves were permanently embedded in every window frame.  Many neighborhoods in Charlotte, NC were badly damaged by winds of 90 mph.  Dorian had such a massive eye, and was traveling so slowly and with such a high wind speed that we were either going to be spared or smooshed.   As it was, the sky was ominous all day, clouds raced by, but the wind never materialized to more than about 12 mph with slightly stronger gusts.  All and sundry are hugely relieved and extremely sorry for the poor souls in the Bahamas!!

Jennifer   

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Thank you, Alfred.  Actually, we are inland about 167 miles west-northwest from Charleston SC.  When hurricanes come up the eastern coast they often reach Charleston and then make a turn, either to our direction or to the north-northeast.   Thirty years ago, the trees in our town were demolished by Hurricane Hugo, which took an abrupt and unpredicted turn and thundered through the countryside and thwacked us at 100 mph.  Smidges of green leaves were permanently embedded in every window frame.  Many neighborhoods in Charlotte, NC were badly damaged by winds of 90 mph.  Dorian had such a massive eye, and was traveling so slowly and with such a high wind speed that we were either going to be spared or smooshed.   As it was, the sky was ominous all day, clouds raced by, but the wind never materialized to more than about 12 mph with slightly stronger gusts.  All and sundry are hugely relieved and extremely sorry for the poor souls in the Bahamas!!

Jennifer   

Thanks for filling me in on the details!

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Stella HB said:

I will be mostly reducing capital letters to 85%...

Size, opacity? o.O

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions