You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I just wanted to share an issue I have been facing since I use Affinity Designer (and the Affinity suite in general). I don't think it has already been discussed on other topics and if so I apologise.

I use the Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) and my issue concerns the layers order. I'm used to organise my artboards, groups and layers according to their position in the workspace of the document. For instance I put elements that are on the top left of the workspace, on the top of my layers panel. Then I put elements that are on the top right, then elements that are below, etc. (You can find an attached picture to better understand my organisation ;) ).

Those who are familiar with the Affinity suite can figure my issue: Affinity apps always place the latest created element on top of the layers panel list. This is a major issue for me when I automatically duplicate layers: the display order in the layers panel and the order of my elements in the workspace are opposite. So I have to take time to reorganise my layers and I'm still a bit frustrated by that.

I don't know whether I am the only (weird) one to order elements this way and I don't think it is currently possible to solve that issue. So I would be more than grateful if Affinity could let us choose the spreading order of the elements on the layer panel!

screenshot_layers_Affinity.png

• Staff

Layers are shown in "Painters order" - items towards the top are drawn over others.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 hour ago, Bazz said:

I don't think it is currently possible to solve that issue

9 minutes ago, Ben said:

Layers are shown in "Painters order" - items towards the top are drawn over others.

It follows that there’s a simple solution: when creating new elements, start at bottom right instead of top left.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for your replies!

On 8/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, Ben said:

Yes and the "painters order" is obviously legit when you have to place layers and manage foreground / background.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, Alfred said:

It follows that there’s a simple solution: when creating new elements, start at bottom right instead of top left. 

Of course, it could be a solution. But the "logical flow" of elements is personally from top left to bottom right. The origin (0 / 0) of the rulers is top left too, so it's easier to place elements starting from top left. Regarding that, I just regret there is not an option allowing users to choose the flow of the layers (create new layer / duplicate). It might be just my way to see and organise things but I wanted to share it in case someone had the same "issue" :)

You could try experimenting with the targeting options to see if one of those might help you to place things closer to where you want them:  https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/target.html?title=Targeting objects

Another option might be to place your layers panel on a separate display and flip it upside down?  :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, fde101 said:

You could try experimenting with the targeting options to see if one of those might help you to place things closer to where you want them:  https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/target.html?title=Targeting objects

Thanks for your reply! I have actually not really experimented these buttons until now. I have just been trying them and I have to say they almost solved my problem! But... too bad you can't change the default behavior :( If I could set the "Insert behind the selection" behavior by default (each time I create a new layer) it would have been perfect!

I really hope this change could be implemented!! Anyway, thank you @fde101 for your help!

34 minutes ago, Bazz said:

If I could set the "Insert behind the selection" behavior by default (each time I create a new layer) it would have been perfect!

I do agree that it would be nice to have a preference to set the default behavior, or to indicate that whatever behavior you select should be "sticky" and stay in place until you change it to something else.

Just bear in mind that when you insert something behind the selected object, if the inserted item is smaller and positioned behind the selected object, it may be "invisible" and hard to select in the window...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 6:29 PM, fde101 said:

I do agree that it would be nice to have a preference to set the default behavior, or to indicate that whatever behavior you select should be "sticky" and stay in place until you change it to something else.

Just bear in mind that when you insert something behind the selected object, if the inserted item is smaller and positioned behind the selected object, it may be "invisible" and hard to select in the window...

Yes of course, I'm fully aware of that and that's why it is not the default behavior but concerning my first question/problem where I don't have to overlay objects, it would be great!