You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compare Affinity Photo on iPad to desktop

I need to buy a mobile platform am unsure whether go for an iPad or laptop.  I purchased Affinity Photo for desktop when first released and use it with Wacom pad and pen.  Is there much difference in usage?  There seem to be some problems with the latest update on iPad, eg. selection tool, inpainting brush.  Will this be fixed soon?

31 minutes ago, Irene said:

I need to buy a mobile platform am unsure whether go for an iPad or laptop.

Both are relatively mobile. The desktop affinity software has more adjustments available currently, than does the iOS version. Also iOS has inherent 'limitations' in the interests of security. IPadOS will be an improvement.

32 minutes ago, Irene said:

I purchased Affinity Photo for desktop when first released and use it with Wacom pad and pen.  Is there much difference in usage?

The Apple Pencil/iPad model is extremely well implemented and works well on both Photo and Designer. You should definitely try before you buy. 

35 minutes ago, Irene said:

There seem to be some problems with the latest update on iPad, eg. selection tool, inpainting brush.  Will this be fixed soon?

The 1.7 rel has been problematic for some users. While the current release is a great improvement. Selection tools and inpainting work very well now, however Photo still has issues reported when mixing large files and grouped layers. Also, some previously fixed bugs have been reintroduced in the current release of both Photo and Designer. I take the view that the iPad apps are in the early stage of development and will certainly improve with time. How much time? I guess that depends how badly any specific bug effects a users workflow. There are  usually workarounds that enable a user to achieve a result. It’s certainly  annoying not to have it work ' perfectly', but the alternatives are also very limited. Beta versions are regularly updated but if you intend using the apps for income production do you want to use beta? Keep in mind that the desktop versions also have also experienced bugs, with the 1.7 release, many similar in nature to iPad version. I suspect development effort is being focussed on Publisher for iPad which may slow down development on the other versions.

Personally, I love the feature set and portability offered with the iPad and Affinity apps but I do not need to use it to produce income. The best solution? Buy both if you can afford it. :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I have the desktop version on my iMac but need a portable version, which is why I’m asking. Using for hobby and will be making multi-layered images, along with others, so does the iPad version work or not.  Everyone else will be using Photoshop!

Are you thinking of buying a MacBook or a Windows laptop? What other software would you want to run on it?

The iPad versions of the Affinity apps are less than half the price of the desktop versions, but your current licence for Affinity Photo on Mac would allow you to install it on a MacBook at no extra cost.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I was thinking of a MacBook as it seems I am committed to Apple now, so I would not have to pay for the Affinity Photo app as I already have it.

I would use Mail, maps, Imaging Edge to transfer photos from camera, Safari, Utube, iPlayer for TV, Apple Photos, amongst other smaller apps.