You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey!

Maybe someone can help me on this:

• I just want to export a layout from Publisher as a PDF/X3 with K-only - or better: a grey only document wherein are shades of K only (from 1% to 100%).

• Whenever I use the grey color space setting for export - my document color space is set to grey too -  it ends up turning greys into CMYK even if a stroke or form is K-only in Publisher...

How might I export such a grey (K-only) PDF correctly?

All the best,
Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

You have to change the Colour Format in Document Setup to Grey. Interestingly X-4 gives me an error, when I try to export.

Added wish: I wish Publisher would have a Print Colour Manager where I can set aliases to e.g. spot colours.

P.S: You might get more attention to this topic, when you change the title to 50 shades of K :D

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

You have to change the Colour Format in Document Setup to Grey. Interestingly X-4 gives me an error, when I try to export.

Added wish: I wish Publisher would have a Print Colour Manager where I can set aliases to e.g. spot colours.

Yeah, the color management is sometimes strange. A suite-wide color management would be so nice :-)

Never get errors when exporting but the colors tend to change. 

6 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

P.S: You might get more attention to this topic, when you change the title to 50 shades of K :D

hehehe  done! :-)

PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

1 hour ago, Palatino said:

My problems are with the text and shapes that have only K values... 

Have the doc color space set to grey. Export without any PDF conversion (PDF (for export) setting) and still the text and shapes that only have K values in Publisher have colors in the PDF. The images in the same PDF are K values only though. 

I really don't get it... 

36 minutes ago, ChrisSmere said:

Have the doc color space set to grey.

(Ich spare mir jetzt mal die Übersetzung.)

Das ist dein Fehler. Du hast D50? Das ist so ähnlich wie sRGB, nur in Grau – wie der Name schon sagt ein Monitorprofil. Für dein Endergebnis ist egal, ob du ein rein schwarzes Druckprofil oder ein CMYK-Profil nimmst – wichtig ist die Beschränkung auf den Schwarzkanal. Und keine anschließende Konvertierung!

Es gibt im Zusammenhang mit dem Grau-Arbeitsfarbraum auch noch einen Bug, aber auf dessen Beseitigung würde ich nicht warten.

Thanks to DeepL.

17 minutes ago, Palatino said:

(Ich spare mir jetzt mal die Übersetzung.)

Das ist dein Fehler. Du hast D50? Das ist so ähnlich wie sRGB, nur in Grau – wie der Name schon sagt ein Monitorprofil. Für dein Endergebnis ist egal, ob du ein rein schwarzes Druckprofil oder ein CMYK-Profil nimmst – wichtig ist die Beschränkung auf den Schwarzkanal. Und keine anschließende Konvertierung!

Es gibt im Zusammenhang mit dem Grau-Arbeitsfarbraum auch noch einen Bug, aber auf dessen Beseitigung würde ich nicht warten.

Ok... verstehe. Also kann ich es gar nicht anders machen. Ist zum Glück eh nur ganz selten.

1 minute ago, Palatino said:

Genau so.

Dass ein Grau-Dokument angeboten wird, ist dann natürlich ungeschickt, da es unbrauchbar ist. :-/

3 hours ago, ChrisSmere said:
  • Whenever I use the grey color space setting for export - my document color space is set to grey too -  it ends up turning greys into CMYK even if a stroke or form is K-only in Publisher... 

How might I export such a grey (K-only) PDF correctly?

As mentioned above the built-in grayscale profile "D50" is a RGB profile. This can be useful for greyscale output which should print in 4c. For instance photos appear with "more depth" when not printed in k only; a greyscale output in 4c has more ink available (4x 100%).

To limit the output to K only you can use an according K only profile. For instance the "Schwarze Druckfarbe - ISO Coated v2 (ECI)" I have assigned in the screenshot below. Also you need to export as PDF/X-4 (or older) to make sure that an output intent (Ausgabeprofil) gets assigned to your PDF, which tells the printing hard-/software that this K only profile should be used. The resulting PDF contains no CMY channels.

912487055_konlyexportsetting.jpg.9368c9136ec861b930cf68e4f44b0850.jpg

Optionally you can use spot colors which will become converted to k only, too.

319195173_konlyexportsetting2.jpg.56762055bfb31dfe05e21e0d5e036bff.jpg

Another option is to apply a "Black and White" adjustment layer over all your work to force it to K only.
Also the button "K only", available for image resources, converts RGB to K only and ignores in 4c resources the CMY channels.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

19 minutes ago, thomaso said:

To limit the output to K only you can use an according K only profile. For instance the "Schwarze Druckfarbe - ISO Coated v2 (ECI)" I have assigned in the screenshot below. Also you need to export as PDF/X-4 (or older) to make sure that an output intent (Ausgabeprofil) gets assigned to your PDF, which tells the printing hard-/software that this K only profile should be used. The resulting PDF contains no CMY channels.

That's it - now I have got it :-) thank you! Now it worked and I have only K. 

Dankeschön!