You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening RAW files from Apple Photos

As a new, and very happy, convert to Affinity from the Creative Cloud I have a question!! Leaving Lightroom CC I have now lost a viewer for all my photos from whatever source. In Lr these are hosted in the Cloud and easily viewed and shared without having to have an enormous hard-drive!

Having moved to Affinity I needed somewhere to 'hold' the photos from where they could be viewed and shared. I chose Apple Photos and all is fine; all photos from my phone go there automatically and I can import RAW files directly form my camera. Photos also holds the originals in the Cloud when space is at a premium.

If I right click on one of these RAW files in Photos, and select Edit in Affinity, the photo opens in the Photos Persona and not in the Develop Persona. I have to then click on Develop Persona to edit the RAW file.

Is this an expected behaviour when using Photos and do I lose anything in the image editing by having to select the Develop Persona?

As an aside, has anyone got a suggestion for storage other than Photos?

Peter H

2 hours ago, missedbeat said:

If I right click on one of these RAW files in Photos, and select Edit in Affinity, the photo opens in the Photos Persona and not in the Develop Persona.

Are you talking about right-clicking & using the Edit With > Affinity Photo popup menu item?

If so, as explained in this post & the ones following it in the affinity won't open Raw files from Photos app. topic, there is an issue with that item in Affinity Photo, & even if there was not there are good reasons not to use it. Instead, use the Affinity Photo extension.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@missedbeat, in addition to what MEB wrote here & in the other topic I linked to in my reply, you might also want to read the Tidbits article that @C J T linked to in that other topic.

It explains in some detail why "Edit with" is a bad choice as well as the intricacies of using extensions in Apple Photos.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That is indeed an interesting article. I am going to see how Photos performs but may well fall back on using Photo Mechanic to handle images prior to development and then just add jpegs on Photos of the developed image leaving me with the original raw and *.afphoto files to come back to if required.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:32 AM, missedbeatsaid:

If Iright click on one of these RAW files in Photos, and select Edit in Affinity, the photo opens in the Photos Persona and not in the Develop Persona. I have to then clickon Develop Persona to edit the RAW file.

Go to the Image menu and click on “Use RAW as original”. Toward the bottom of the list.
Click the button with the ellipsis (…) and choose “Edit in Affinity Photo”.
The instructions will tell you to open Affinity Photo.

When you open Affinity, the image will be open in the Develop Persona

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 3.26.12 PM.png

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde