You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to open an older .afdesign document

Hi, I'm trying open some older .afdesign document in the newest version for Mac and I'm getting the "File type not supported" error:

screenshot_1474.png.e3fe64ff4ed84f6a1e03649ae26ffa76.png

I can't remember in which version I've created the document, but it was certainly several years ago. Was there any backward compatibility break in the meantime? Is there a way how to recover the document?

Thanks for any advice.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Are you able to upload the document to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Lojza :)

Sorry to hear this!

4 hours ago, Lojza said:

Was there any backward compatibility break in the meantime?

Certainly not that we're aware of, all files should be forwards compatible (ie old files will open in the newer versions, not vice-versa)

If you don't wish to post this file publicly, could you please upload it to the following link so we can investigate further for you? Has the file been opened/saved on an external/network drive?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/3ZpgxuJ4lDdRe7YKsC76

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

If you don't wish to post this file publicly, could you please upload it to the following link so we can investigate further for you? Has the file been opened/saved on an external/network drive?

Hi Dan C,

Thanks for the response. I've uploaded the file to Dropbox. And yes, I moved it to Google Drive earlier this year and now moved back to my local drive.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• Staff

Thanks for your file and for confirming that, I've forwarded your file to one of our developers for investigation and to see if we can recover the file for you - I'll respond here in due course :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 4:13 PM, Dan C said:

I'll respond here in due course :) 

Hi @Dan C, any news on that?

In the meantime, I'm struggling with another older file (created maybe in AD 1.5 and saved in AD 1.6, or maybe both in 1.6, not sure now). However, it's quite big design (140 MB) with some SVGs in it (as inserted files). When trying to open it in current Affinity Designer, the app throws tens of "Linked Resource Changed - Image ... has been modified outside of the application" warnings, then hangs the computer for some time, then hangs itself for another quite long time and finally (after a couple of minutes) opens the document, which seems OK. This file has never been uploaded to a network drive or cloud - from its creation, it stays on local disk.

Is it possible to investigate on this as well? I'm willing to upload the file for your examination, if necessary (not publicly, however).

Thank you!

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delay here, there's unfortunately been no developer update with this file as of yet, I'll bump the report again for you now.

19 hours ago, Lojza said:

When trying to open it in current Affinity Designer, the app throws tens of "Linked Resource Changed - Image ... has been modified outside of the application" warnings, then hangs the computer for some time, then hangs itself for another quite long time and finally (after a couple of minutes) opens the document, which seems OK.

This is a bug our developers are aware of and has been caused by allowing Linked not Embedded resources in Publisher, meaning a global change was required for the suite - however certain files made before 1.7 exhibit this behaviour when opening a file with Embedded content - meaning even if the documents had been updated externally, this would have no effect in your document. We hope to have this fixed ASAP!

• Staff

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here, unfortunately our developers have tried to recover this file, however it appears as though the data has been lost/corrupted by Google Drive.

We suspect this has happened in the process of either uploading or downloading from Google Drive. Do you still have a copy stored here? We've found previously that downloading files through the Google Drive app occasionally corrupts files, however we've seen better results when downloading them directly from the Web interface. If you still have a copy stored online, could you try this for me?

On 10/1/2019 at 12:06 PM, Dan C said:

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here, unfortunately our developers have tried to recover this file, however it appears as though the data has been lost/corrupted by Google Drive.

We suspect this has happened in the process of either uploading or downloading from Google Drive. Do you still have a copy stored here? We've found previously that downloading files through the Google Drive app occasionally corrupts files, however we've seen better results when downloading them directly from the Web interface. If you still have a copy stored online, could you try this for me?

Thanks @Dan C for your assistance! Yessss! The original file downloaded from GDrive via web interface works well! Wow, you saved my day! :) (I actually use Expandrive most of the time for downloading/uploading to GDrive... So it seems the GDrive API is somehow messing with the files o.O).

We can consider this topic closed ;) Thanks again!