You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: convert a text to a table

Hello,

How to convert plain text with a separator, for example tabs or semicolons, into a table?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

If you have something like Excel, you can open a text file containing separators (e.g. tabs, commas, semicolons etc) then copy and paste the data from Excel into a table in Publisher

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you, Joachin_L and Carl123.
It is indeed a second best. We have to copy the text in Word or Excel, create a table on Publisher, select the number of cells and lines corresponding (in fact more than one cell), delete the added column, readjust the table.
:) That said, if I had known that, I would have saved a lot of time on my new desktop publishing.

Let's say it's a basic feature, and that's where QuarkXPress and Indesign advertise.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

6 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

:) That said, if I had known that, I would have saved a lot of time on my new desktop publishing.

Let's say it's a basic feature, and that's where QuarkXPress and Indesign advertise.

Do not forget, that the initial release of Publisher was in June 2018. If you look at the history of e.g. Indesign some "vital" features came in a later version. In fact Indesign 1.0 was a mess compared to the first version of Publisher.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

The argument obviously can not be retained even if it partly explains the thing.

Regardless of this, let's not forget that Affinity started the development of its software for 5 years and that Publisher is the replacement of PagePlus created in 1991 by the same company.
That said, I think we can be accommodating, because as PagePlus was mediocre, so Publisher seems to want to achieve perfection.

12 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

Regardless of this, let's not forget that Affinity started the development of its software for 5 years and that Publisher is the replacement of PagePlus created in 1991 by the same company.

No Affinity app is intended as a feature-equivalent replacement for any of Serif's Windows-only Plus apps. The Affinity apps are the result of a "clean slate" approach to application design.

In fact, Affinity began as a research project codenamed "Persona" at Serif to explore the feasibility of creating "a memory management system capable of high-end photo editing on an iPad with only 80MB memory available to the App” (quoted from the “Affinity Review #1” iBook.) After 3 years of R&D & the addition of other technologies like asynchronous processing & serialization, the first Affinity app was released, the Mac version of Affinity Designer.

Anyway, the point is the Plus & Affinity codebases are entirely different, so it is not as if they can just bolt on features from a Plus app onto an Affinity one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

it's even better.

• 1 year later...

i have been an InDesign user almost since its inception - i was looking for new program to replace it
as i feel Adobe is abusing us with their monthly subscription. I wen an purchase the Affinity suite. Have
been testing Publish - VERY DISAPOINTING and will more than likely stay with InDesign. Too many
short comings in format and import options plus very cumbersome in the layout of tools. Very sorry
to say this - was hoping for a lot more!!!

Welcome to the Affinity forums @stevemf!

If you were with ID almost since its inception, you have to be honest, V1 was crap [PERIOD]. Against ID v1 APu 1.7 was gold. Perhaps if you stay a little bit longer with APu you'll experience progress (and we had some since 1.7) like ID was doing over the years.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed