You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HDR Merge taking an age

Tony909

Bought the Affinity Photo to use on IPad Pro to do HDR merge and Panorama merging. Using RAW files from the Sony A7R3.

HDR Merge does alignment ok, but then takes for ever 30 mins plus to do the HDR merge. The Panorama gave up! Am I doing something wrong or is the app not capable?

Thanks

Having the exact same problem with both HDR and Panos.  Also using a Sonly a7r3.   Have detailed posts but so fact no comments.   Maybe they will now take an interest.

i can tell you that doing the above was absolutely no problem with 1.6, and with the early betas of 1.7, but for some reason, in the later beta versions, and the released app 1.7, it somehow completely reversed its ability to do almost anything without lagging and/or crashing.   

Thanks for reporting these issues.  

Good to know that previous versions were ok. I bought Affinity to try and move away from the MacBook to an IPad Pro whilst on trips, but in the current format this is a non-starter. Hopefully we will get some positive response, or at least an acknowledgment of the problem!

• Staff

Hi guys, sorry for the delay—I'm still catching up from the bank holiday :(

A colleague identified this last week. It's almost twice as slow as it was in 1.6. I'll update the bug report.

HDR merging seems the same for me but it may be worth getting some files from you if you're both doing HDR merge:

Tony909 - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1h8iw22i2qjeuzt/AADQUD8kvdllxQSFq5MGnFuJa?dl=0

p_mac - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jlidbpyeka52b4/AAC9dx4XB1eJIeKW0MeT-EBua?dl=0

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi Chris B, this doesn’t appear to be a request folder as there is no way to up load files into it.  I don’t use Dropbox and don’t want to sign up for Dropbox.  Looking at a link you sent in another post regarding panos, the link has the word request in it and a way to upload.   

Glad to share with a better link.

Tried a pano last night, again really slow but then almost impossible to work on.  The pano stitch is really good, but how good is that if you can’t work on it   

Stacking, described in detail in one of my posts, is really slow, and almost impossible to work on after.   

• Staff

I'm not sure what went wrong there—I'm terribly sorry. Can you both try this new link and just dump whatever you've got in there:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/NPgyLHlA2bCvW92Strit

The Pano issue is logged but I am keen to check the HDR merging.

Dropbox keeps telling me - something went wrong, try again - so I'll try to upload 3 images here.

All upload tries were unsuccessful.  Have no idea what is going on.   

I have completed this merge on my MacBook Pro and my iPad Pro (3rd ten) 1T 6GB running 12.4.1

and the quality of the merge on both is pretty awesome, however working on the iPad is so slow and then trying to add filters etc is almost impossible.  

Finally!!!!!!

I tried for an hour, :(:75_skull:

The three files uploaded but they were corrupted.  I have no idea what is going on.  

I definitely don't have the Midas touch.

Would really like to know why I couldn't upload to Dropbox. Was getting to almost 100% upload, then I would get the didn't upload message.

Hi Chris B, I tried as you can see to upload some images for you while I was on my MacBook Pro and as you can see is was not successful.

I thought that I would give it one last go to upload to Dropbox using my iPad Pro.   The upload was successful and very quick.

There was no indication that something was blocking the uploads on my Mac but guess there was.  Will need to figure that one out.   

I have some images for Stacking that I will try to upload to you because there is a real time issue with that process as well and when it finished it is impossible to work on.  But I found that if I can get a save on all these processes, if I come back after a quit, there is a small amount of time that the iPad works well with your software, but they begins to stall and slows down to a crawl.  

UPDATE:  Apparently the reason the first 3 bracketed images uploaded quickly was because they were jpeg. How that happened is a mystery.  Apparently Dropbox keeps a record of the email addresses that one is required to enter in order to upload to a shared address and they used that information to send me an email to tell me what I had uploaded. I don't work with jpegs, don't shoot them so there would be no way for me to upload them   The 10 stack images were all Raw.   

Edited by p_mac
Updated

Just so you know, I uploaded 4 more images for HDR.  Hopefully they get to you and this time they are Raw files.

sent these ones because there is a well defined tree, interesting clouds. and very dark area in the bottom.  

‘I have developed these before the problems and was able to bring out the dark areas, clean up the noise, etc.

As AP doesn’t support the Sony a7r3 camera, there is a visible perimeter distortion.

Lens used Sony FE 55mm f1.8 ZA

Would you be interested in a pano?

Edited by p_mac

• Staff

I'm just letting you know that the slow HDR merging is now logged with the developers.

I did quite a few tests with multiple devices and images.

My Windows XPS merged the 4 HDR images in 27 seconds whereas my 2015 iMac did it in 1m 20s. The 11" iPad Pro took 3m 25s and I also tested it on a 12.9" iPad Pro running 1.6 and had to give up as I was seeing no progress after 7 minutes.

Regardless of the iPad results between 1.6 and 1.7, there does seem to be quite a delay—especially when you compare it to my Windows XPS machine. I can forgive the iMac for being a bit slower as it only has an i5 but I would have expected the iPad to have come close to it.