You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is every new vector layer automatically on top?

Hi - maybe I’m being daft, but why does Affinity Designer on iPad automatically put every new vector layer at the ‘top’ ie first of all the layers. If you have a heap of layers it’s very time consuming to then either drag the layer ‘downwards’ or copy / cut / paste to the location you want. It’s driving me crazy - surely it should put the new layer above the last one you were working on by default...? Only way I can see to do it is select the layer below the one you want to work on and then it will start there, but not always. Can anyone help (and apologies in advance if I have missed something blindingly obvious).

• Staff

Hi VectorVonDoodle,

This has come up before and we do have the issue logged with the Dev team.  It appears if you have a pixel layer and then add a vector layer, the vector one goes to the top.  If you only have vector layers, then the new vector layer is added above the selected layer.

Hopefully it's something the Dev team can resolve shortly :) 

Hi Stokerg, thanks for the reply but not sure I understand - I'm not using a pixel layer when it happens. When I start to draw a new vector shape with the pen tool (which automatically creates a new layer) after finishing a previous one and if I don't have that or another layer pre-selected (in actuality a shape selected) it will automatically default my new vector shape / layer to the top of the layer tree, which can be a lot of scrolling from the layer I was previously working on. Is there no way to get my new vector shape / layer to be created above whatever layer I was last working on other than by having to select that layer?

• 1 year later...