You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinty Photo Erase - How to Complete?

If I use the Erase tool on the first pixel layer - the one that is created when I open a TIF file for editing - I can select the area I want to erase - the checkered area appears as I move the mouse, and I can control where it appears. The options for controlling opacity etc. work as expected.

But how do I complete the erasure?

In one other program I use, the erasure starts as soon as I release the mouse button. (Not sure that's the best idea, but at least it finishes.)

In another program, pressing <Enter> starts and completes the erasure.

But in AP, no key press or mouse action that I've found does anything. The area selected stays selected, and nothing more happens.

I tried 'Save' and then 'Close'. When I reopen the image, the checkered selected area to be erased is still there, and still nothing has changed - the area hasn't been erased.

Cloning, OTOH, works as expected.

BTW, I looked at several videos (not all by any means) on YouTube about erasing in AP. They seemed to just assume that the erasure would complete, w.o.explicitly saying how this is accomplished.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Quadro K620, latest drivers.

Edited by SantaFeBill
Correct spelling, added system info

Select the Erase Brush Tool, adjust brush size, right click and drag.  Detailed tutorial of Erase Brush.  Have a great day.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

12 hours ago, SantaFeBill said:

I tried 'Save' and then 'Close'. When I reopen the image, the checkered selected area to be erased is still there, and still nothing has changed - the area hasn't been erased.

The “checkered selected area” isn’t just marked “to be erased”, it’s already been erased: that pattern is the standard way for image editors to indicate transparency. If you place a coloured rectangle or fill layer below the image layer, it will show through that area.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think I'm beginning to understand.

'Erase' in AP doesn't work as it does in other programs I've used.

In those programs, the erase toll automatically picks up pixels from the surrounding area and replaces the pixels in the erased area with them.

In AP, 'Erase' works by picking up pixels from another layer and replacing the erased area with them.

What the replacement looks like depends on what is in the other layer.

That seems to be what you, Alfred, have said and also what I understand is in the video that Cecil recommended.

However, I still have a problem.

I open the TIF file I want to modify. AP automatically adds a Background pixel layer.

I then go to 'Layer' and click on 'New Fill Layer'.

A fill layer is added at the top of the layer stack.

I then uncheck the fill layer (only way I can get back to the Background layer to work on it).

I click on the Erase Brush Tool.

Again, everything works - I can change opacity etc. and can drag and paint over the area I want erased.

The checkered area appears, but the color of the fill mask doesn't appear in the erased area - and that's it.

Nothing else happens, and as I said in my original post, I can't find any action/keystroke/mouse click that makes anything happen.

Obviously, either there's something about my hardware that AP doesn't like, or, much more likely, there's just some very basic things about working in AP that, lacking experience with Photoshop, that I just don't get - and in the few days left in my trial period - aren't going to get.

Too bad. I haven't been satisfied with the way erasing functions in my other main programs - although they work as advertised.

I had hoped that AP might be the solution.

BTW Alfred, you live in a magnificent country. Spent too short a time there 2005 - Plockton and a short while in Edinburgh. (My maternal grandmother's family were Campbells, traced back to Scotland.)

Thanks to both of you for trying to help.

Also, I did watch a number of videos on YouTube - could never get the good clean results shown in them - always artifacts left.

Edited by SantaFeBill
Added info

2 hours ago, SantaFeBill said:

In AP, 'Erase' works by picking up pixels from another layer and replacing the erased area with them. 

No, Erase doesn't pick anything up. It simply erases.

2 hours ago, SantaFeBill said:

The checkered area appears, but the color of the fill mask doesn't appear in the erased area - and that's it. 

You have placed the fill layer above the pixel layer, hiding all of the pixel layer. You need to move the fill layer below the pixel layer. Then when you erase from the pixel layer the fill layer will show through the holes you've created.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, SantaFeBill said:

BTW Alfred, you live in a magnificent country. Spent too short a time there 2005 - Plockton and a short while in Edinburgh. (My maternal grandmother's family were Campbells, traced back to Scotland.)

I’ve heard about how beautiful Plockton is but I’ve never actually been there. I used to know some parts of Edinburgh quite well.

Alfred spacer.png

9 hours ago, SantaFeBill said:

'Erase' in AP doesn't work as it does in other programs I've used.

In those programs, the erase toll automatically picks up pixels from the surrounding area and replaces the pixels in the erased area with them.

I'm beginning to think that the OP wants the functionality of the Inpainting Tool but is incorrectly using the Erase Tool instead

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

32 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I'm beginning to think that the OP wants the functionality of the Inpainting Tool but is incorrectly using the Erase Tool instead

Yes, that or the Clone Tool. Either one “picks up pixels from the surrounding area and replaces the pixels in the erased area with them”.

Alfred spacer.png