You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP User's Guide, Part 2 -Developing RAW Images

EdK

Here's the 2nd section of Part 2 (and here's the 1st section of Part 2 from last week). Part 1 is here.

I'm prepared to get some flack over my treatment of AP's Develop Persona. If that includes you, please offer specifics as to what you find wrong AND how to make it right. As an old boss said - you can't just use your pencil's eraser!

My biggest beef is the fact that Develop Persona is destructive. Second place goes to having a white picker for white balance in Photo, but not in Develop. Third - Why are overlays available only in Develop. I guess Serif has good reasons, but the logic escapes me. Bottom line is that I recommend bypassing Develop - just open the RAW file and click on Develop Persona's develop button to switch to Photo Persona (then use Layer>New Adjustment Layer to access Develop tools that are free from the destructive DP issues; return to DP when necessary for DP unique features like Overlays and camera unique options, etc.). Different strokes to different folks, just my opinions.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi EdK,
Affinity Photo is not a traditional DAM + RAW developer specifically developed for photographers as Lightroom or Aperture - It's more comparable to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW where the Develop Module provides a way to convert/develop RAW's from cameras for further localised edits in Photo Persona rather than an exclusive RAW development workflow. With that said:
1. We hope to offer a (non-destructive) way to keep RAW development settings eventually through a special layer that keeps them intact/editable.
2. Will check with development.
3. The built-in live adjustments/filters's masks are way more powerful/versatile than the Overlays in Develop Persona.

MEB,

Thanks for the reply. I don't want/need a DAM + RAW product. For DAM I have used iMatch for years and never plan to change. As for RAW development, I use the ACR in PS Elements for the basic conversion stuff. I then do everything else with Nik software, again with PSE as the server for the Nik plugin. I can still do the same, in combination with AP, by using the PSE/ACR combo instead the currently flawed (IMO)  Photo Develop and then open the ACR result in AP. A one-stop solution was my "hope"; all I want is a better RAW conversion function. Maybe some day, but at age 82 I can't wait too long ;)

You didn't mention the Photo only White Picker. A reason for that not also being in Develop?