You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Can I edit a PDF, or rebuild text elements in it?

Pre-purchase question. I have a PDF that I'd need to fix (a la Adobe Acrobat). Will Publisher do that? Now that Acrobat has been upgraded/integrated into Adobe subscription based Reader DC, I'm sure that this will become more important for me. 

Besides editing text elements, the other uses I can see for editing PDF's (let me know what else is possible from an old PDF):

1. Coloring/redesigning graphic elements.
  2. "Funkifying" old work not stored elsewhere. 
  3. Rotating/resizing elements.

Regards and congrats on the new product!

pages (dragged).pdf

techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

Affinity Publisher is currently unable to interpret embedded fonts, so it may not suit your needs. You can decide for yourself by trying it for free for up to ten consecutive days: https://affin.co/publishertrial

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

These are the fonts in your document. If you have them, you can open it and it should look fine. If not you'll have to make some font substitutions. If you have the facility to convert text to curves within Acrobat, then that might be useful.

image.png.3e86b4b038c399f674bf8c7ea2e488bb.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

23 minutes ago, MickRose said:

These are the fonts in your document. If you have them, you can open it and it should look fine. If not you'll have to make some font substitutions. If you have the facility to convert text to curves within Acrobat, then that might be useful.

image.png.3e86b4b038c399f674bf8c7ea2e488bb.png

Thanks, Mick! 

Downloaded the demo. It worked wonderfully. The original was something created by others for a PDF distributed newsletter. Quick typo fix. I take it that the properties you show are accessible in Designer? I haven't found them, yet. Just opened up the file, went to the text block. Violá! 

Since it was originally created in Pages by a non-designer, I figured I would have the fonts (in my FontBook) and did. I'll get Designer to complete my Affinity trio on just that one feature alone.

Haven't completely deleted Acrobat Pro 10 but it clearly will be going away and I'm definitely not in the subscription mode for Adobe software. Reader DC has add-on subscription parts to re-enable Acrobat features that weren't spectacular to begin with and are not worth what they charge as an infrequent user.

It's a shame Serif hasn't chosen to make a good DAM yet. That would really put me in the fold. They should have one that supports all manner of assets (photo, video, design, publishing elements). 

Thanks Affinity and to you for great support. 

Henry

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

14 minutes ago, Techworks Pro said:

I take it that the properties you show are accessible in Designer?

The dialog shown in Mick’s screenshot is from Windows.

It's a shame Serif hasn't chosen to make a good DAM yet. That would really put me in the fold. They should have one that supports all manner of assets (photo, video, design, publishing elements).

Serif were actually developing a DAM but it got put on the back burner while they concentrated on Photo and Designer for iPad and Publisher for desktop.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The dialog shown in Mick’s screenshot is from Windows.

Serif were actually developing a DAM but it got put on the back burner while they concentrated on Photo and Designer for iPad and Publisher for desktop.

It's OT, but wish they'd get on with it. 

9 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The screen shot is from Acrobat. The OS doesn't matter.

Thanks, Mike. That was actually my first thought: I should have stuck with it! :$

Alfred spacer.png

11 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Hi Henry - I'd definitely keep Acrobat 10 Pro if I were you. It's not on  subscription so why remove it?

Why is b/c it's not going to run in future 64 world of Apple apps. And shrinking resources. Oh, I still have it but I'm running out of space on my poor 250GB startup drive. So I'm down to deleting old apps that don't run here anymore. It no longer resides on my SSD (along with many other Adobe apps from CS6). When I get my next machine (sooner than later, just not yet).maybe a new opportunity to get Affinity. Acrobat actually still works here, but it's time to fish or cut bait for the above reasons.