You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts do not render the same as in PagePlus X8. Bold and regular are practically indistinguishable and fonts look heavy and fuzzy.
They look fine in PagePlus X8.

Also, in X8 I can apply Bold to any font even if the bold version is not installed e.g. Nyala.
This is not possible in Affinity Publisher.

Also, raised caps does not seem to be an option in Publisher.

Font Rendering Issue.afpub

Font Rendering Issue.ppp

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, HW1.

5 hours ago, HW1 said:

Bold and regular are practically indistinguishable and fonts look heavy and fuzzy.

All fonts, or some specific font(s)? I have not noticed a problem like that in Publisher with the fonts I use.

5 hours ago, HW1 said:

Also, in X8 I can apply Bold to any font even if the bold version is not installed e.g. Nyala.
This is not possible in Affinity Publisher.

Correct. Publisher (and Designer and Photo) depend on the fonts for providing bold and italic. They do not provide a faux version of bold or italic for the fonts that do not provide them.

5 hours ago, HW1 said:

Also, raised caps does not seem to be an option in Publisher.

I'm not sure what you mean by raised caps, so I'm not sure if there is a mechanism in Publisher for them or not. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, HW1.

All fonts, or some specific font(s)? I have not noticed a problem like that in Publisher with the fonts I use.

Correct. Publisher (and Designer and Photo) depend on the fonts for providing bold and italic. They do not provide a faux version of bold or italic for the fonts that do not provide them.

I'm not sure what you mean by raised caps, so I'm not sure if there is a mechanism in Publisher for them or not. Sorry.

I think they mean https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/77294/how-to-do-a-raised-initial-in-indesign/77297 I'm sure this can be adapted in Publisher.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I use a combination of an Initial Words with a word count of one and then I insert a Zero-width space after the first letter. It may be necessary to add the Zero-width space as an end character to the Paragraph Style's Initial Words. Make a Paragraph Style and a Character Style for this, use a large point size but leave the rest alone in the Character Style (base it on the same style as the Paragraph Style), or use a completely different font.

big letter.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Raised Caps is an option in PPX8 when you select Drop Caps. OB's work around would achieve the same thing though I don't quite follow all you said about creating the style with a zero space. I'm new to this, just trialling Affinity Publisher to assess how difficult it would be to move from PPX8.
Regarding the font rendering and leaving aside the Bold issue, I still see a significant difference between PPX8 and AFP in rendering even regular fonts. I've attached a screen grab of a selection including Times New Roman and Arial. This is not an artifact of my screen as I printed out samples direct from both PPX8 and AFP and got the same result in hard copy.

Edited by HW1

Finally solved it. After much tinkering and exploring, I stumbled into Character - Decorations and discovered that there was a decoration added to the text. No idea how that happened!
This had the effect of bolding the text. I removed the decoration and all text is now displaying correctly. As I said, I'm new and this is very complex software but obviously has fantastic potential.