You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.2 Crashes on my OX 10.9.5/ Year: 2008.

When I try to save my file after the first time, it consistently crashes and leaves the message: Failed to save document: Saved failed because access to the file was lost. The document must now be closed.

Then it crashes and my work is lost. I have Publisher and I don't have a problem with it so I'm not sure what's going on with Designer. As the title states, my McBook is 2008 with OX10.9.5. Thank s for any help. 

• Staff
4 minutes ago, TJH Art Studio said:

It's one that I transferred over from Adobe Illustrator. I added a few layers then saved it into a file I made in my Document File.

Was it stored on a cloud drive (particularly Google Drive)? I presume a new document is fine when you save it? 

• Staff

Thanks for the file. I've tried modifying it by adding some shapes onto it using 10.9.5 and the document is saving correctly for me.

Do you get this error if you open the file, add some rectangles and then save? Would it be possible for you to do a screen recording that shows you opening the file and reproducing the crash?

I think the bug isn't the program but it's me. I'm not sure how to record my progress on my mac unless I set up my cellphone. Anyway, I went to files, export then the different files dropped down; PDF, tiff jpg, etc... After I set up the file I wanted I hit save and then I put it in a document or whatever  I needed. Is that how it's done or am I doing it wrong?

• Staff

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything particularly wrong. You can use QuickTime which is installed by default on Mac to get a screen recording. Please see this article here for details on how to do it:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208721#quicktime

If you could do that showing the issue, and then attach the file you've saved that would be very useful!

Thanks!

Have you tried to save instead of save as. The problem is that the file is already opened. And you slecht the same file. In this place, when you change a existing file is to use save. But if you want to change the name, than you can do. This happened to all openende existing files. 

• Staff
7 hours ago, TJH Art Studio said:

Hopefully, this will work. It should have the layers in it.

Video_Crash_Clip.mov

Would you be able to try using this file instead and see if that works for you? I've recreated it in a new document, and want to ensure there is nothing in your file that was causing the behaviour as we do occasionally see that if a document is partly corrupt.

Mr Herring Logo - Resaved.afdesign

• Staff
On 8/30/2019 at 10:02 PM, TJH Art Studio said:

As you can see when I save the file to tiff or any other format, I don't have a problem as long as  I export and then save. If I go directly to save that is when it crashes. Any ideas what the problem could be? 

Video_Crash_Clip2.mov

Unfortunately that video doesn't seem to work for me - I've tried using QuickTime on Mac and also VLC on Windows. Would you be able to retake it at all please?

• Staff

Thanks for that - using File > Export will work because it is creating a whole new file in a different format. The error you get on saving is generally when it loses access to part of the original file when you try to save it.

I presume you get the same behaviour using the afdesign file I attached? Do you have any other afdesign files from other projects that you could try opening, modifying briefly and then saving? Do they give you any issues? If not does reproducing your file in a whole new document (using File > New) help?

I was having a problem when saving the file as afdesign. It was odd because I would save the art, for example, as a tiff or pdf which was not a problem but when I wanted to close it out, the afdesign file would crash is I tried to save it. Would it be better to not save it and then later opening the tiff or pdf file in its place?

• 2 months later...

I am still having a problem with Designer crashing when I hit either Save or Save as. The message reads: "Failed to save document: Celesrtrial Tiger (the name of my project)

Saved failed because access to the file was lost. The document must now be closed."  The original file is in the folder. I don't understand why it can't find or save it. I have the 1.7.3 version.

My Macbook is 2008 OSX 10.9.5 4GB 1067 MHZ DDR3

Edited by TJH Art Studio
I have the same problem with Publisher. Could it be that the European software and my American macbook are having issues?