You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes immediately upon opening 16k TGA files

Psych

I am using the latest version (1.7.2.471) on Windows 10. I can reproduce the problem by trying to open the files in question again. Affinity Photo crashes/closes right after loading.

I can provide the files. They're located inside the folder TGA Textures/Head/TGA/ after unzipping TGA+Textures.zip.
The files in question are Colour_16k.tga and Spec_16k.tga. The other files open just fine.
Common characteristics between the files non of the other files have: both are 16k and are 700+MB in size.

The ZIP file can be downloaded from here (blog post): https://www.3dscanstore.com/blog/Free-3D-Head-Model

Alternatively, here are direct links - if you don't want to register. After registering it'll lead you to this page eventually which has the direct links:
https://www.3dscanstore.com/blog/Download-Model

Thank you

Edited by Psych

downloading, will try but last time in affinity 1.6.5 and before, this was issue:

They said that 1.7 can handle better larger files (performance, filesize or both?) but i didnt test it yet on my 50K source png :D

ORIGINALLY REPORTED back in 2017:

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

Yep its same issue, I think this isnt something trivial for them to solve, because it taken so long, maybe they have to rewrite some big chunk of their code handling this (maybe thats the price to pay if you base bitmap software on vector one (Affinity Designer) and want to share same/similar core).

This will probably take few years to solve not months, If you can use Photoshop or freeware GIMP meanwhile. (GIMP dont have non-destructive editing yet) but paid Affinity Photo cant handle this filesize yet.

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

Another freeware software that can open large files too:

Krita: freeware for concept artists and painters.

Paint.net: Freeware program written in NET Framework. 

Pro Motion NG: pixel art editor based on ancient Amiga DeluxePaint can at least open it too without crashing...

PS: can someone try legendary PAINTSHOP PRO? (i dont own it) or MacroMedia FireWorks dead fish right? :D

Well, first of all, thank you for downloading and trying to open the files. And also for the valuable information you provided @Danielcz

But what a shame! 700MB is nothing nowadays. People working in the 3D industry (game developing/modeling/textuing...etc) are working with huge files all the time as part of their work. And the fact that this is impossible to do in AP is just disappointing. I really hoped this program would be a solid replacement for me, but apparently not. If I had to use GIMP or any other "free" software to work then what's the point of buying Affinity?

It's a great program, but this should be addressed immediately. If they want to even have a chance at competing against Photoshop they have to stop adding features and work on the foundation. The basic stuff. People need something reliable and that works before even looking for fancy feature.

Edited by Psych

I successfully used Affinity Photo on 16k up to 22k images in the past but those where exr files.

It must be related to the recent changes done to the TGA file format. (implementation of TGA export), the whole Affinity Product Range is affected.
Not only 16k TGA files but also 8k files can be affected, maybe even smaller TGA files.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

On 8/28/2019 at 3:06 AM, Psych said:

Well, first of all, thank you for downloading and trying to open the files. And also for the valuable information you provided @Danielcz

But what a shame! 700MB is nothing nowadays. People working in the 3D industry (game developing/modeling/textuing...etc) are working with huge files all the time as part of their work. And the fact that this is impossible to do in AP is just disappointing. I really hoped this program would be a solid replacement for me, but apparently not. If I had to use GIMP or any other "free" software to work then what's the point of buying Affinity?

It's a great program, but this should be addressed immediately. If they want to even have a chance at competing against Photoshop they have to stop adding features and work on the foundation. The basic stuff. People need something reliable and that works before even looking for fancy feature.

Its not ready yet, at this time its more of a hybrid between Lightroom and Photoshop, they have added some generated textures not long ago (with varying results) but still no precision glow, custom curves (fx layers), Normal map filter, fonts below sizes 30pt looking kind of bad, cant open files above 300MB etc.

Good thing is that its cheap to buy and free until 2.0.

From above there is Photoshop, from below there is GIMP. Problem is that some tasks can be done by free GIMP or expensive Photoshop but not with affordable AffinityPhoto. (free->paid->expensive)

If you need to do some smaller (2K/4K) seamless environmental textures for games (aberration, lens fix) with non-destructive techniques you can do it just fine. Im using Affinity Photo where i can and waiting how it will pan out but i guess it will take years for me to be able to switch completely. (its not just about features but workflow speed, tool precision and performance too)

When i will be able to work with this filesize ? :D

LargeProjects.png

Even if this will get fixed, will performance be on pair for practical workflow? Last time i tried (1.6) AffinityPhoto performance started to choke around 12K files and later memory management kind of collapsed too. (free RAM but AffinityPhoto wasnt able to use it)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Confirming the Problem on 1.10.5, The Problem still exists. 16k Tga File with about 750mb
I was lucky and had access to an old Photoshop license.
I opened the TGA in PS and resaved it as a TIF.
After that i could open the File in Affinity Photo. I hope that helps somebody until the Issue is solved.

Thanks to myclay

Edited by VFX_Panda
kudos