You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

long brush delay

After a recent upgrade (I'm running Affinity Photo 1.7.2 on a iMac running OS 1013.6 with 16 Gb of RAM), there is a serious delay in brush action when either using the pen tool ('B") or the erase tool (E").  It's quite annoying, to say the least, and it causes me to make even more mistakes than usual!  These are simple B&W files, created from images I drew, inked and then scanned as TIFs.  I've attached a sample file before I've gone over it .  (I submitted this earlier but in my ignorance posted it to a Windows group).  Also, the zoom tool quit working the way it used to.

FLcyphPrehensor001.tif

• Staff

Hi JohnEpler,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I believe you mean the Paint Brush Tool and Erase Brush Tool - can you confirm please? The other post (on Windows section) seems to be dealing with the Inpainting Brush Tool issues. Mouse over a tool in the toolbar for a few moments - a tooltip will appear displaying the name of the tool.
Are you using a mouse or a tablet/stylus to trace the drawing?

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, you're correct about the tool names.  The solution provided via the Windows forum worked - when using the tif version, things worked as usual.   As I wrote on the other forum, I usually work with tifs, but this time I was "lazy" and started in on the afphoto version.  I use an ancient WACOM graphics tablet.  I've been doing this a long time, but when Adobe went to their greed-based subscription mode, I found Affinity Photo and have been using it for about 2 years.  BTW, when I noted this problem, I tried it with my mouse instead of the tablet, and the result was the same - an annoying lag in response.  I am not tracing any drawing, I scan my rough inked drawings and then clean them up with the program.   I'm using a 27" iMac with 16 GB RAM, running OS 10.13.6 (I'll move up to Mojave one of these days ...), graphics with AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB.

So why does it not work correctly as an afphoto file?

I spoke too soon about the problem being "solved".  It's doing it now in the tiff file, also.  This is a new file I just scanned attached) - there's lots of scanner noise which I take out with the erase brush, and use the pen brush to smooth lines, correct things, etc.  It worked fine for a bit, and then started doi9ng it again.  I tried saving the file, but the problem persists.  I quit the program, re-opened the file, and the problem persists.

FLcyphSVIII pit1.tiff

I had NO problems with AP until I "upgraded" to 1.7.2 on 17 August.  I know next to nothing about the program's inner workings, but it seems to me that AP is getting its memory clogged "remembering" brush strokes, much like some browsers do when their cache(s) are full.