You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Exporting Issues

As well as what thomaso asks, did you use the same pdf profile the printer uses when you set up the document? 

How did the customer decide the numbers are off? 

Unless the pdf has a document profile, and if the printer or your customer is using Acrobat and their default color profile is not what you used, the numbers will change. 

The customer mentioned the customers looked off, and then when I opened the PDF up in Publisher, the colors were not what they were supposed to be. I created a profile that's specifically supposed to keep the colors CMYK, and that profile shifted the colors the most. The default "for print" PDF export option kept them a lot closer, but they still shifted.

1 minute ago, RenWaller said:

The customer mentioned the customers looked off, and then when I opened the PDF up in Publisher, the colors were not what they were supposed to be. I created a profile that's specifically supposed to keep the colors CMYK, and that profile shifted the colors the most. The default "for print" PDF export option kept them a lot closer, but they still shifted.

I'm not saying that the colors are not off...but opening a pdf in something other than Acrobat or pdfToolbox may not show what the colors really are in the pdf.

What pdf type did you export and what color profile was the document using? What color profile was the pdf exported using?

I exported it as the preset PDF (for print) and the profile is US Web Coated (SWOP) v2. And I reopened the exported PDF in Publisher, and the colors that were previously one thing were now something different. Is that the information you're looking for?

Thank you.

If my document color is set to US Web Coated (SWOP) v2, and I use the red color you posted in the OP is used, this is what I get when using the PDF (for print profile:

Capture_000166.png.ea113158163369cf7155ca743f58fd90.png

Without seeing your exported pdf, I cannot check it, though.

As many suggested, I checked out the document color profile, changed it to US Web Coated (SWOP) - I did this last week, and now I can't remember what it was before - and it seems to be working fine now. I will repost if I have issues again.

Thanks for all your help!

In my experience these buttons have no function (yet).
They even seem to stick at "convert": if I click "assign" > close that options window > re-open window: Always and only set at "convert" to me.

If they would work then any colorspace influenced change in your layout could result in a different look, for instance in case of an RGB versus a CMYK resource profile + an assigned "invert" adjustment. In my imagination :35_thinking:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, RenWaller said:

Although, should I have it set to "assign" or "convert"? And what's the difference?

• „Assigning“ a profile means, the actual colors are the correct, intended ones and are now tagged with a profile. No color changes are necessary.
  • “Converting“ into a profile means, the actual colors have to be recalculated into the profiles color tables. In this case, the actual colors have to be changed.

Just another way of wording that:

If you *assign* the profile you are telling Publisher that you have correct color values (CMYK *numbers*) but the wrong profile was previously assigned, so Publisher needs to reinterpret the existing numbers using the newly assigned profile.

I you *convert* the profile you are telling Publisher that you have correct color values in the already-set profile but now need to use a different profile, so Publisher needs to change the existing numbers in the document to their closest equivalent in the new profile.