You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Style/Flow Issue

Hello,

I applied a text style to some text, and then I reflowed that same text into a different frame and the formatting (the size) changed. See the text "operating specifications" in the attached images. The bulleted text underneath that also changes when I try to include it in the above frame.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 10.49.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 10.49.21 AM.png

Hi, there is definitely something going on there when you tinker with your text flow. But in that one heading if you click on the style again, it resets to the correct font size. That can't be intentional so Serif people please take a look at this. Also, look at how the text flow gets messed up when I start deleting text frames... everything is in this screen recording:

• Staff

I can't see why it is getting some local formatting applied on top of it when the "Operating Specifications" text gets moved into the bottom frame, so I've logged that to be looked into further.

Thanks for reporting this

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Please also look into why the text is flowing outside the frame when a linked frame is deleted (see the end of my recording).

I'm not sure I see that happening, Jeremy. Or, I'm having a hard time understanding what yur recording is showing. But if I understand it, and what you're asking, perhaps this explains it: when you delete the frame the text has to go outside the remaining linked frame. The only real question, I think, is whether the text is visible or not. That is determined by the status of the "eye" overflog indicator next to the lower-right linking triangle. If the eye has a slash through it, the text is hidden. If it does not have a slash the text is shown.

Early in the video one of your frames has an eye without a slash. But I don't think you have the frame selected at the end, so we don't know the eye status of that frame. (Assuming I'm understanding what the recording is showing.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, if you download the file and try what I tried in the video, you'll see it. The text flows from the first page (2 columns at top) to the second page and then to the lower frame (2 columns).

When I delete the third frame, the text "Operating Specifications etc" from that is suddenly floating under the second frame. The selected second frame is showing the text overflow error, but it should be just that. Why is it also displaying the overflow text? A similar thing happens later in the recording when I delete the second text frame.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Walt, if you download the file and try what I tried in the video, you'll see it. The text flows from the first page (2 columns at top) to the second page and then to the lower frame (2 columns).

When I delete the third frame, the text "Operating Specifications etc" from that is suddenly floating under the second frame. The selected second frame is showing the text overflow error, but it should be just that. Why is it also displaying the overflow text? A similar thing happens later in the recording when I delete the second text frame.

Thanks. I'll try that. Are you saying that when it showed the overflow error it was showing it with the slashed eyeball indicator? image.png.24f1f1524516864e1848e77a6e2625cf.png

That would be wrong, as it should be hidden with that indicator. But that's under the user's control, and if the user has elected to show the overflow then the indicator will not have the slash, and will simply be the red eyeball image.png.c3c142c3c20b2669a00612d84b20c91d.png and then the overflow is supposed to show.

I saw the latter version (unslashed = show overflow) at least once in your video.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I'm not looking at the indicators at all. IMO irrelevant. I'm saying there is text OUTSIDE of the text box that should be hidden because there's no more room in the frame.

The indicator is definitely not irrelevant. The indicator shows in that image without a slash through the eye, indicating that you have chosen to display overflows rather than hiding them for that frame. Click on the eye, it will turn into an eye with a slash, and the overflow will be hidden.

It's also an option in the Text Frame panel, where it may be set and may apply to all frames or individual frames:

image.png.d7e36ca5b79ef2b47f41ffc2a7c59165.png

When set to Hide, the eye will have a slash (showing you something is hidden) and the overflow will not display.

-- Walt
PC:

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The indicator is definitely not irrelevant. The indicator shows in that image without a slash through the eye, indicating that you have chosen to display overflows rather than hiding them for that frame. Click on the eye, it will turn into an eye with a slash, and the overflow will be hidden.

I would never think to look there for an overflow view indicator, nor would I ever want to view the overflow, nor can I understand why anyone would want that (or need to know why). So I hastily deemed it irrelevant to me. I didn't know the feature existed so thanks for pointing that out. I know in the future that would drive me nuts so I'm glad to know it's there now and I can disable it (adding to a list of things by default I don't like). Glad to know this isn't a bug.

Viewing the overflow can be useful in some workflows. For example, if it only overflows a little, you might just make a small adjustment to the frame size, or the font size, or leading, etc.. If it overflows a bunch, you'll need to make a big change to the frame, or link to another one, somewhere.

Of course, those may not be relevant to your workflow :)

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

nor would I ever want to view the overflow, nor can I understand why anyone would want that

I’ll not try to argue about whether the feature is useful to you, since everyone works in a different way and has a different kind of work to accomplish. I’ll just note that I am glad the feature is there. I do turn it on occasionally to see what the overflowing text is. It is nice to see if it is overflowing by a single line or multiple paragraphs, so that I can then consider what kind of approach I need to fix the problem. Without this feature, there is no other way to see what the overflowing text is unless you delete or modify the text above it. This is especially needed since Publisher does not currently have any kind of story editor to see overset text like in InDesign.

21 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

nor can I understand why anyone would want that

It's very usefull since you know how many lines of text you need your editor or client to suppress so it will fit on your page, or you know how many lines you need to recover (using different tricks like tighter justification here and there) in the previous pages for your text to end at this point.

No need to expand the frame to check how many lines are out… and resize it one it's done.

I think I'm running into the same issue (on Windows). One attached video shows the issue, styles are applied to a bit of text for no apparent reason, if I reset the formatting, then the reflow causes styles to be applied to different text. The other video shows how it is "solved" by not using columns in that particular text frame.

I'm a bit stumped right now, as I can't seem to work around it no matter what I try.

A workaround that works for me is to select the text frame itself and then click "Reset Formatting", instead of using the text tool to enter the text frame as I did in the video. However, this is pretty cumbersome as I have to then go through the rest of the linked text frames as the problem "travels" through the text.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:34 PM, Jeremy Bohn said:

I would never think to look there for an overflow view indicator, nor would I ever want to view the overflow, nor can I understand why anyone would want that (or need to know why).

Have used that same "feature" in ID for many years for some of the same reasons others have suggested. Very useful and time-saving in layout/composition. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022