You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linking Resources Error- What is going on?

Your Resources Manager screenshot only shows the first few resources. What do you see if you scroll down to where the items named in the notifications are shown?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Catshill.

Thanks for the file.

Is that the correct copy of the file?  Just all the items show up as linked for me, which i would of expected from looking at your screenshot.  Just wanted to confirm it's the right file before looking into the issue further :) 

On 8/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, Catshill said:

One of my Publisher files when opened generates multiple Linked Resource changed errors - image below

I can confirm

...and it's acting as though even an embedded image still maintains a link to the original file it was embedded from

So when the original image is edited (and saved) you get a warning message telling you your original embedded image has been changed

Which could be useful if you prefer your images to be embedded but other people in the office were periodically supplying updates to the original images.  You would be notified and could re-embed your images from the updated originals.

So, I'm not sure if this is a bug, "as designed", or a useful feature for some users  

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi @Catshill,

Can you just confirm that's the correct file?  Just they all show as linked for me, so want to confirm it's the correct file.

We do have an issue logged with Dev where Embedded Resources are being treated as linked within the app and causing the pop up you are seeing.  You should be able to stop the pop up by going into Preferences and unchecking 'auto update linked resources when they are edited externally.'

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, stokerg said:

You should be able to stop the pop up by going into Preferences and unchecking 'auto update linked resources when they are edited externally.'

I think it's working the other way around.

If you untick the option you will get the message

If you tick the option you do not see a message but all your externally edited embedded images get updated automatically with no  "warning" or message to that effect. And unexpectedly they are now all changed from embedded to linked images in Resource Manager. 

Which could explain why @Catshill magically now sees them all as linked

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, Catshill said:

Hi @stokerg

Well as per the screen shot all the images were embedded but as if by magic they now show as linked. I wish I knew what was going on. Thank you for responding.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.