You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request 2D CAD Persona

+1

I sure would love some of these too. For me in particular I've always missed a trim tool in similar apps (maybe it is due to my background in CAD but they sure are handy). I don't really think we need a "CAD persona" for that, all we need is a few additional tools. Some like drawing using a bit more of math could be achieved through 3rd-party extensions but it seems those aren't really a top priority at Serif.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

I don't really think it would disrupt any workflow with the correct management. Some (me included) have been asking for support for scaled drawing, which could be seen as part of this "CAD persona", but could benefit even more. I have also seen a lot more requests in the same direction, some that could be achieved using a plugin architecture like math-based/technical drawing some that really depend on Serif.

I sincerely do not expect Serif to add a persona for technical drawing or even to fork it into a fully fledged app for that but I understand some few helper tools could be added seamlessly to everyone's workflow to achieve the same result. As we speak, I'm going through the experience of creating a full technical drawing document (CAD like) using AfD and as of right now I miss only some few tools to be able to work better/faster:

• scales: a simple math can be done by hand to have scales but having this math done by the app makes working with it faster
  • vector textures: AfD already supports raster textures but being able to define a real vector texture would be nicer
  • leaders: can be achieved by using separately a line and a text but these are either two separated objects or a group, which is a little more tricky to handle, or even a symbol
  • dimension lines: as with leaders, can be achieved with individual objects, or a group, or a symbol
  • trim: can also be worked around using geometry (AfD geometry tools are way better than Illustrator, working as I expect them to), it is more a bad habit I got from the very first time I messed around a CAD but sure comes in handy sometimes, even in non-technical drawings
  • offset: Illustrator has a tool to convert the border of an object into another independent object but AfD cannot

With the right set of API available, most of these tools (leaders, dimension lines, trim, offset) could be created by 3rd-parties with no further need for Serif's involvement. To some of these, there are already some suggestion topics going on, I suggest following and supporting them:

I'm also a strong supporter of Serif adding an API so we could create extensions to Affinity apps, which could be used to add lots more tools (like means to support more math-based drawing tools or even some of the tools I mentioned to be missing) and even support for reading/writing DWG files (and well as many others). I'd also suggest supporting this:

One could say we're trying to transform AfD into a CAD but both are (for the most part) only drawing apps sporting a different set of tools so they are not worlds apart. An example of that is, as I already mentioned, I'm working full technical drawings using AfD and it is already not that hard to be done. Have you tried doing anythink like this? Have you missed any other tools I have not mentioned?

I was trying to draw up some paper models my children could fold and glue together and needed to work out the length of an arc so it would bend into the correct shape. 

I am old enough to have been taught technical drawing with paper and pencils so I probably could have worked it out had I stuck with it, but having been spoilt with the use of CAD at work (or just my lazy streak kicking in) I thought there are easier ways to do it and waited until my lunch break at work to draw the more complicated parts.

Just to add if Serif wanted to go down the separate compatible app route "Affinity CAD" would have my money.

1 hour ago, July-Nov said:

if Serif wanted to go down the separate compatible app route "Affinity CAD" would have my money.

That makes at least a market of two. :4_joy:

• 1 year later...

On 8/29/2019 at 11:44 PM, Lmpessoa said:

That makes at least a market of two. :4_joy:

A market of 3…

you can count me in, I’d love to see some cad functionality in designer, particularly the ability to measure a curved line. CAD persona sounds great!