You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Renaming symbols

1. Create a symbol, do not rename it.

2. Drag the symbol into the layout.

3. Rename the symbol and drag  it into the layout.

Result: Now we have two symbols in the Layer panel, one with the orginal name, one with the changed name. Should not all instances of the symbol renamed as well?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Indeed.

Also interesting:
If you rename it in the layer panel all instances are renamed even the one in the symbols panel. 

1. Create a object and make it a symbol.
  2. Copy it a few times and change the name of one of the instances in the layers panel.
  3. The name of the symbol in the symbols panel changes after a few seconds.

It seems it works in the one way but not in the other way round: renaming in the layers panel always works for all instances as long as you do not change the name in the symbol panel. If you rename it in the symbol panel and drag it in only the new symbol has the new name. If you change the name (of an instance from before changing the name in the symbols panel) after that in the layers panel only the instances before the renaming in the symbol panel change accordingly. The instances created after that are isolated regarding their name and also the symbol name can be change through the layers panel.

Can anybody follow me? :-)  maybe that GIF can help:

symbols.thumb.gif.4b20a3b528f27cf10e42e1bff22b7cd5.gif

All the best,
Chris

PS: Have the file attached too.

symbols.afdesign

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...