4EverMaAT

locked background layer should not accept any changes

win8.1 x64, 12gb ram, i5 3220M

locked background layer (or any layer) should not accept changes.  But instead if a change is made, a new layer should be made (or prompted to the user) to "hold" these changes, while leaving the locked layer untouched.

I took the eraser brush tool and I was able to erase part of the background layer while it was locked.   So then what is the purpose of the lock tool if the layer is not truly locked?   Or is my interpretation of layer locking incorrect?

Hello @4EverMaAT,
I think it's a bug.

See: Help about Layer Protection

Cheers

Hilfe.PNG

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 :   Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.3.476 :    Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471:  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.3.476:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.3.475:   Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471:    Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1903 Build 18362.295)

17 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

I think it's a bug.

See: Help about Layer Protection

No,only moving and transforming is addressed under the lock,editing is not,though should be but is not a bug and intentional at this point.
Hilfe.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1903)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Hello @haakoo,
Thanks for the hint, I should have read better.O.o
I wonder, what sense does it make when I'm on a protected layer and can erase, paint, clone etc.
That is no protection for me.
In Photoshop, this is not possible if the layer is protected.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 :   Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.3.476 :    Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471:  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.3.476:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.3.475:   Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471:    Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1903 Build 18362.295)

I don’t know if this will totally fix the problem but I duplicate the background layer and uncheck original Background layer. The duplicate layer above is left defenseless?  Something to play with today.

Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

You can do nearly everything with a "locked" layer. Not my understanding of a lock. A bit better in Publisher - you cannot move the layer, but you can add FX, Adjustments and Live Filters to it, but still not a real lock.

I did a test today by duplicating the Background and unchecking bottom locked layer. Made duplicate layer active, applied curve adjustment.  Turned on bottom layer and curve adjustment was applied.  I then moved it to top of layer stack, no adjustment.  

By duplicating Background, you can always move up layer stack and maintain the original Background layer.  I guess this helps if you plan to Save as Affinty a File for future edits.

Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, haakoo said:

No,only moving and transforming is addressed under the lock,editing is not,though should be but is not a bug and intentional at this point.
Hilfe.PNG

Can you clearly define "transformed" in terms of image editing and the lock tool?   Transformation I interpreted it as any change to the image.

perhaps there could be two types of locks.  One for only moving and "transformations" and another level of lock/protection for any layer changes.

Edited by 4EverMaAT

1 hour ago, 4EverMaAT said:

Can you clearly define "transformed" in terms of image editing and the lock tool? 

When the lock is applied to a layer, all of the options in the Transform pane are greyed out and no longer available, so that is position (X & Y), Size (W & H), Rotation and Shear.  That appears to be all that is locked.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:41 PM, Gnobelix said:

That is no protection for me.

Affinity Store: Designer 1.7.2.471, Photo 1.7.2.471, Publisher 1.7.2.471.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.295.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.