You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Update - Setup failed

1 hour ago, Adam5 said:

I managed to (after lots of searching online) change the ownership of the Affinity folder and deleted it.

If you can provide a pointer to the site and article that provided the solution that might help Serif figure out what was wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you can provide a pointer to the site and article that provided the solution that might help Serif figure out what was wrong.

I used this process

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

This helped me to regain control of the Affinity folder, which somehow I had lost via by doing the update (the update gave ownership of the folder to SYSTEM). The log file was saying that I could not access the folder (even though I am Administrator), therefore the update was failing. It would not let me rename the folder or re-direct the install to another folder.

Once I regained control, I deleted the folder , not sure if that was the right thing to do - could have just tried to install (I was just frustrated by then). After deleting the folder, the install went through fine, and I had access to the newly created Affinity folder.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Adam5

I believe that I have it installed and working.

Removed old setup logs and earlier version of the program.

Then installed latest version, it said it was successful. Did not have to tell it that I was an administrator.

Don't know why.

If you try this I would recommend that you have a copy of 171 just in case.

Edited by CLA
More detail

On 9/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, Leigh said:

@Neo_Moucha @MariekeS @IkariShinji29 Can you go to Program Files, Right click the Affinity folder and go to Properties > Security > Advanced and take a screenshot. If you could upload it here, that would be useful.

See attached image file. My user interface is in German language, though - hope this is useful anyway!

05-09-_2019_08-54-28.png

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

Thank you IkariShinji29. Is it possible to also the same for the Affinity Folder in the Program Files directory?

Sure. I just posted the security settings for the "Publisher" folder at first, as Publisher was in my case the only application with this update issue - Designer and Photo both updated without any problems. The state of both folders you see now is after successfully installing Publisher 1.7.2 when logged in as an admin user.

05-09-_2019_10-30-43.png

What I - from my limited technical understanding - find puzzling is that we see so relatively few reports about the issue... Shouldn't the forum be crowded with people having the very same issue on Windows PCs if the installer is to blame? And since it isn't, what might be different on our very few affected machines?

Would it make sense to compare Windows versions and build numbers also? I've seen the issue on both Win 10 Home and Professional x64, version 1903, build number 18362.329... Virus protection on both machines is Kaspersky Internet Security in its most recent version.

Edited by IkariShinji29
Added virus scan info

• Staff
42 minutes ago, IkariShinji29 said:

What I - from my limited technical understanding - find puzzling is that we see so relatively few reports about the issue... Shouldn't the forum be crowded with people having the very same issue on Windows PCs if the installer is to blame? And since it isn't, what might be different on our very few affected machines?

Would it make sense to compare Windows versions and build numbers also? I've seen the issue on both Win 10 Home and Professional x64, version 1903, build number 18362.329...

We've had a few reports on the forum but we mostly get them reported via email & social media. Hopefully we can figure out the common cause :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff
16 hours ago, vwatson said:

I just installed it in a different folder.

We've had reports from other users stating that deleting the Affinity folder or installing to another folder is the only way they've found around the error installing. Similar issues have been reported to QA team here: 

• 1 month later...

I experienced this "setup failed" pop-up too. I have all three Affinity apps and have successfully updated Designer and Photo. After reading through this thread and tried the suggestions, I realized that I have lost all rights to the Publisher folder (and it had zero bytes). Tried to delete it but no use. But I just did a restart and the Publisher folder was not  there anymore. I did an install once again (run as admin) and it worked. All is fine now.

P.S. ...This may be relevant or not, but just more info: Before I restarted, I deleted the Publisher Beta folder (so if you were a beta user, maybe you could delete that).