Aleksandar Kovač

Left and right margin values switched

Modifying margins, I got this. Left and right margin values are swapped. Here, left input box controls right margin and vice versa, as you can see on the image. E.g. left margin should be 14mm, but instead, right margin is 14pt.

I cannot say exactly how this happens but I think I get this sometimes when starting a document as facing pages document and changing to single pages afterwards.

Sometimes I would switch from 'facing pages' document to single pages document and still see 'inside' and 'outside' margin input boxes.

941311413_marginsswapped.png.122a1fc52b7752ccd7e5d388d894c20b.png

Alex

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), macOS High Sierra, ATI Radeon HD 4850

As you assumed it occurs when creating a single master page in a facing page document.

In my experience the right value in your screenshot will become the inner value if such a single master gets applied in the facing document pages:
Applied to a document page such a single master gets its margin moved according to the position in the page flow: means, the margins switch their side automatically.
– But different to the master page objects, which do not switch sides !!!

1472600955_singlemastermarginfacingpages.jpg.38b1a2e7a4b853f755c886991e743fcd.jpg

p.s.: I guess it is simply an issue in the UI > labels of the "Left"/"Right" margin fields which might in such a case be named with "Inner"/"Outer" for instance. In my experience switching in this options window by using the "Single" and "Facing" button appears to react inconsistent, sometimes it labels "left", sometimes "inner" for the first field.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

@thomaso Thanks for replying!

I am familiar with inner and outer margins. But here, something else is happening. In a document where 'facing pages' is off and the document is consisted exclusively of single pages (let's say a booklet with verso only printing) margins behave as if there are facing pages.

I am sending you an example of, what I believe to be an error. In the file, there is one master single page. If I try duplicating it, it will be duplicated as one master single page but with margins switched! In single-page layout that is not expected, I'd say.

margins copy.afpub

* "single page layout" - being non-facing-pages layout. As opposed to a file with one page.

Alex

Yes, there are oddities in the way master pages behave.

In my experience any switching between "single" and "facing" confuses the document (and app) + generates such bugs.

I experience the same margin switch from left to right when copying master A.
But also I experience that this duplicated master is named as A, too.

Both issues do not occur to me if I start a new document and do not switch from single to facing and vice versa once the document got created. But if I switch, then I can even get an occurrence like that, where the page orientation is vertically though it is set to horizontally. It can be reproduced just by applying those settings and changing them afterwards a few times. Obviously the document and the app are not up to date at every involved piece of code which generates what I see.

71689853_masterfacingverticallyvshorizontally.jpg.d6e7ac881f58d59fc7608d853ccda62f.jpg

Possible it also might be important whether does Save the document or may be Save-As between those switches. In my trials I have not saved at all.

Yes, I agree there is a bug – but also I think it is easy to avoid if I simply do not change the layout setting of a created document in "Document Setup...".

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Oh, yes! You have been exploring this much deeper. Indeed, strange things happen when changing one's mind from single to facing pages (and the other way around).

Alex

I've reproduced getting a document in a similar state to the one you have attached, you are correct that having margins set on a facing page document and then switching it to non facing page can cause the document to get a bit "confused", as thomaso highlights it also shouldn't be duplicating a master and giving it the name "Master A", it should be giving it the name "Master B".

I've logged this, thanks for reporting it.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com