You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems rasterizing a PDF

Affinity Photo for Windows V1.7.2.471 on Windows 10.

From time to time I am given a print-ready PDF and asked to turn it into an HTML email. The PDF is usually an A4 or A5 flyer. My usual approach to this is:

1. Open the PDF in Photoshop. PS rasterizes the PDF as part of the import process. All the type is rasterised too.
  2. Save the document as a JPEG.
  3. Create an HTML "wrapper" and upload to a bulk email service such as MailChimp or Provoke.

I realize this is not ideal, and certainly not as good a solution as creating an HTML document from scratch. However, that is what the client wants sometimes, and it works. And of course, it is always a "rush job". I do not ned to change the content in any way, and I certainly don't need to edit the type. I just want a "snapshot" of the PDF at 72 DPI.

So as part of my migration from Photoshop to Affinity Photo, I need to perform this simple task. The problem is that, when Affinity Photo opens the PDF, it insists on keeping the type editable. Furthermore, if the PDF is created using proprietary corporate fonts, they are converted to another font, usually Arial. As you can imagine, the original look of the document is lost.

I have attached three files:

1. The original print-ready PDF as supplied.
  2. A JPEG created after opening the PDF in Photoshop CS6.
  3. A JPEG created after opening the PDF from Affinity Photo.

Just have a look at the type on the Affinity version. I think you will agree that this is unusable.

So, how can I open a PDF with Affinity Photo and have everything rasterized?

Thank you,
Mike G.

A4 Flyer Export from Aff Photo.jpg

A4 Flyer Export from PS.jpg

A4 Flyer Original.pdf